Percentages & Rates

Explain this!

At 5% per unit (5%/unit), how much does a salesman make if he sells 30 units at $10.00 per unit?

I tried this, but I do not think that it is not correct: 5%/unit X 30 units X $10.00/units = 5%/unit X $300.00 = $15/unit. I do not think this is correct. "Units" cancel except in the percentage.

A percentage of X dollars should equal to dollars. Not sure what "/units" is about.

I saw the following: : "Let’s say that you pay someone on the sales team 5% for every unit up to $100,000."

I based my question on this information. I could have misinterpreted it. I assumed 5% for every unit is the same as 5%/unit.

I read it at the following: https://smallbiztrends.com/

I'm curious as to why a rate of commission is called a rate. 5%/unit appears to be a rate, but I cannot get it to function as one.

I saw the following: : "Let’s say that you pay someone on the sales team 5% for every unit up to $100,000."

I based my question on this information. I could have misinterpreted it. I assumed 5% for every unit is the same as 5%/unit.

I'm curious as to why a rate of commission is called a rate. 5%/unit appears to be a rate, but I cannot get it to function as one.
Rate is a ratio of 2 quantities, which can have the same or different units.
E.g. different units: velocity, measured in miles/hour.
Same units: commission $/$.
When units are the same they cancel and we end up with dimensionless ratio (we discussed this before). A dimensionless ratio can be converted to a fraction with denominator 100. The numerator of such fraction is called .... percentage. E.g. your commission is 1 dollar per $20 of sales: $1/$20 = 1/20 = 5/100 = 5%.

I went to the website but I could not find the "problem statement".

You say " 5% for every unit " - but that does not make sense. It could have said, 5% of the selling price for every unit, or some such statement associated with money.

When units are the same they cancel and we end up with dimensionless ratio (we discussed this before). A dimensionless ratio can be converted to a fraction with denominator 100. The numerator of such fraction is called .... percentage. E.g. your commission is 1 dollar per $20 of sales: $1/$20 = 1/20 = 5/100 = 5%.

I want to thank you for your reply.!

I understand all that you have indicated in your message. I have the firm understanding that a rate is a certain kind of ratio. When I think of a rate, I think of a fraction with numerator and denominator having different units. If I am told that the boy to girl ratio is 1 to 3, I would not think of this ratio as a rate of boys to girls being a rate of boys to girls of 1 to 3. In fact, most likely no one would call this a rate. This is a mystery to me. because I am thinking that a rate of commission has different units, but I cannot determine what they are. I understand the information in your reply, but I am still puzzled by the rate-ratio definition. If this were called a ratio of commission. I would not be asking these questions. My best guess at this point is that the rate of commission my be based on a percentage annually--5% percent per year, but this may be incorrect as well.
Usually rates (such as interest rates) involve some element of time--per day, per year, etc.

Thanks again for your efforts in explaining this to me!!

At 5% per unit (5%/unit),.......
One critical point missing..

At 5% (of "what") per unit

I hope that - what - is not weight of the TV, not height of the TV........

5% of what property of the TV? I am assuming it (property) is the price of the TV (it could be profit generated from sale) - it needs to be stated explicitly.

One critical point missing..

At 5% (of "what") per unit

I hope that - what - is not weight of the TV, not height of the TV........

5% of what property of the TV? I am assuming it (property) is the price of the TV (it could be profit generated from sale) - it needs to be stated explicitly.
I want to thank you for the information to my posting. I understand your comments. I saw this at the Internet site listed in my first inquiry. I suppose that it would need to me 5% of some dollar amount, as in 5% per $100 dollars per unit or item sold. If the sales person sold 10 units at $20.00 per unit, that would be 5% X $200.00.

Do you think or believe that percentages are unit less? They do not have a denominator that is a unit of measure, as in 5%/year.

Are you also indicating to me that a percentage is always unit-less? It's not 5%/$100.00, for example, but (5/100)/$100, which equals $5.00? I hope my math is correct.

Are you also indicating to me that a percentage is always unit-less? It's not 5%/$100.00, for example, but (5/100)/$100, which equals $5.00? I hope my math is correct.
5% of blah is 5/100 of blah. 5/100 is unit-less.
5%/$100 is not $5.
If you want to calculate 5% of $100 you multiply 5% by $100: 5%*$100 = (5/100)*$100 = $5.
I don't know what 5%/$100.00 is.

So, no one would ever use 5%/$100.00 in mathematics even though it indicates 5% or 0.05 divided by $100.00?

So, no one would ever use 5%/$100.00 in mathematics even though it indicates 5% or 0.05 divided by $100.00?
"... no one would should ever use 5%/$100.00 in mathematics ...." ....................CORRECT

The correct use would be:

5% OF $100.00 = $5

"OF" indicates multiplication, and

"/ " indicates division

You wrote earlier: "I suppose that it would need to me 5% of some dollar amount, as in 5% per $100 dollars per unit or item sold."
Can you explain why you first used "5% of" and then a few words later switched to "5% per"?

The correct usage is "5% of".

If instead of being given a percentage you are told "Your commission is $5 per $100 of sales", then you calculate the total like this:
($5/$100)*$300 = $15.

Last edited:
This is not to detract from the explanations already given to you, but a lot of your confusion comes from not labelling your units carefully. That is absolutely critical when using dimensional analysis.

[MATH]5 \text { percent commission} \equiv \dfrac{5 \text { commission dollars}}{100 \text { sales dollars}}.[/MATH]
So

[MATH]\dfrac{30 \text { units sold}}{1} * \dfrac{10 \text { sales dollars}}{\text {unit sold}} * \dfrac{5 \text { commission dollars}}{100 \text { sales dollars}} =[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{30 \cancel {\text { units sold}}}{1} * \dfrac{10 \cancel {\text { sales dollars}}}{\cancel {\text {unit sold}}} * \dfrac{5 \text { commission dollars}}{100 \cancel{\text { sales dollars}}} =[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{30 * 10 * 5}{100} \text { commission dollars} = 15 \text { commission dollars.}[/MATH]

Thank you so much! This is excellent! This calculation explains what I could not think of.
Thank you again!!

"... no one would should ever use 5%/$100.00 in mathematics ...." ....................CORRECT

The correct use would be:

5% OF $100.00 = $5

"OF" indicates multiplication, and

"/ " indicates division

Thank you for the reply!

If 5%/$100.00 should not be used, what about 5%/year as seen in banking? Is 5%/year misleading? Should this be 5% of the dollar amount in account per year?
I am beginning to think that the % sign should not be regarded as a unit of measure.

Thank you for the reply!

If 5%/$100.00 should not be used, what about 5%/year as seen in banking? Is 5%/year misleading? Should this be 5% of the dollar amount in account per year?
I am beginning to think that the % sign should not be regarded as a unit of measure.
% sign is NOT a unit of measure - it is UNITLESS.

Thank you for the reply!

Create a problem that involves 5% per year rate and we'll take a look.

The only example that I can think of would be as follows.

A person can borrow $100.00 at 5% per year. After one year, what is the interest?
5% X $100.00 = $5.00

This example is common. I suppose that from what has been explained to me it would be (5% of $100.00)/year.
This would equal $5.00/year. The year unit would not cancel. I am getting the understanding that the % is not a unit of measure in most cases. (?)

See JeffM's reply and calculation for a better explanation.

Thank you for taking time to explain this to me.