Perimeter, Area and Volume

adrkirby

My son has some review problems for his math class. He didn't bring home his math book and I don't know exactly how to explain to him how to find the answers. His frist problem is finding the perimeter of a figure:

1) Find the perimeter of the figure: The top is 30 cm, both sides are 10 cm, and the bottom is 10 cm then 4cm up, 10, more accross, and four down and 10 more up.

2) The second has rectangle with the perimeter of 32 feet and an area of 48 ft squared. For this one, he needs to find the length and width.

3) The next problem has a box woth no top. He needs to find how many square inches of paper it would take to cover the box. The measurements are 10 inches deep by 16 inches long by 8 inches wide. He then needs to find the volume of the same box.

1) "Perimeter" means "total distance around the outside". (You will be able to find a more technical definition in your household dictionary, or in any online dictionary.)

2) How does one find the area of a rectangle, given the length and width?

3) Find the area of each face of the box.

Eliz.

So he would add the length of all the sides to get the perimeter?
I don't know how to find the area of a rectangle. That is the problem. I am not sure how to tell him how to do the problems! I was nevder good at math and I have been out of school for too long to remember. How do you find the volume of a container?

The box is a cuboid. Volume is length times width times height.

As for the area of a rectangle, if you had a rectangle with an area of 1 square unit, what is the width? What is the length? If it had two square units, what is the width and length? If it had 3? Can you think of a formula that relates the area of a rectangle to its width and length?

Well, this is just my opinion of course.

If one of my kids expected me to help with a review sheet, I would certainly expect that kid to bring home his/her book.

It's really hard to help a student if you can't see exactly what they've been working on in school!