• Welcome! The new FreeMathHelp.com forum is live. We've moved from VB4 to Xenforo 2.1 as our underlying software. Hopefully you find the upgrade to be a positive change. Please feel free to reach out as issues arise -- things will be a little different, and minor issues will no doubt crop up.

Permutations/Combinations

oryxncrake

hi

i don't know where else to post this but i need some help on a textbook question i was given about combinatorics.

there is a game that involves a murderer, a mansion, and the weapon used to commit the murder. there are 5 characters in all, 7 rooms in the mansion, and 3 weapons.

the question is.. how many kinds of guesses can i make from choosing one character, one mansion room, and one weapon?

also, is this question a permutation or combination?

galactus

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the multiplication principle. 5*7*3=105

soroban

Elite Member

But I'm certain Miss Scarlet did it in the ballroom with a candlestick.

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
soroban said:

… Miss Scarlet did it in the ballroom with a candlestick.

Soroban, pleeeeze. This is a family-friendly web site.

chrisr

\(\displaystyle Any\ character\ can\ kill\ any\ of\ the\ 4\ other\ characters,\)
\(\displaystyle that's\ 20\ possible\ murders\ if\ they\ are\ all\ potential\ murderers\ and\ victims.\)

\(\displaystyle Using\ any\ of\ the\ 3\ weapons,\ all\ deadly\ in\ some\ way,\)
\(\displaystyle that's\ 20(3)=60\ possible\ ways\ to\ commit\ 20\ killings,\)

\(\displaystyle With\ 7\ choices\ of\ location,\ that's\ 60(7)=420.\)
[sup:3kum0bnp]5[/sup:3kum0bnp]P[sub:3kum0bnp]2[/sub:3kum0bnp][sup:3kum0bnp]3[/sup:3kum0bnp]C[sub:3kum0bnp]1[/sub:3kum0bnp][sup:3kum0bnp]7[/sup:3kum0bnp]C[sub:3kum0bnp]1[/sub:3kum0bnp]=20(3)(7)=420.

\(\displaystyle Should\ we\ include\ self-termination?\)

soroban

Elite Member
Hello, everyone!

If this is the game of CLUE, it already has a victim, Mr. Boddy.

The seven guests (Col. Mustard, Mrs. White, Professor Plum, etc.) are the suspects.