Permutations

thestag

How many ways can 21 English & 19 Spanish books be arranged in a way that no two Spanish books are together?

I have tried to solve by finding P(19,22) But I don't think that's it. I mean I have no clue

Think about how you would arrange the books. Think about how you would arrange the books if you were to violate the given restraint.

How many ways can 21 English & 19 Spanish books be arranged in a way that no two Spanish books are together?
This is a classic separator problem.. In some material on combinatorics it is know as the stars & bars problem.
Consider \(****||||||\), four stars and six bars. that string can be arranged in \(\dfrac{10!}{6!\cdot 4!}=210\) ways. Here is one way: \(*|~|~|**|~|*|\) We can see that the six bars create seven places \(\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_\) in which to place a star.
Thus there are \(\mathcal{C}_4^7=35\) ways to separate the stars.
If we have \(N~*'s\) and \(k~|'s\) then if \(k\ge N-1\) we can separate the stars using the bars in \(\mathcal{C}_N^{k+1}\) ways.

This is a classic separator problem.. In some material on combinatorics it is know as the stars & bars problem.
Consider \(****||||||\), four stars and six bars. that string can be arranged in \(\dfrac{10!}{6!\cdot 4!}=210\) ways. Here is one way: \(*|~|~|**|~|*|\) We can see that the six bars create seven places \(\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_|\_\_\_\_\) in which to place a star.
Thus there are \(\mathcal{C}_4^7=35\) ways to separate the stars.
If we have \(N~*'s\) and \(k~|'s\) then if \(k\ge N-1\) we can separate the stars using the bars in \(\mathcal{C}_N^{k+1}\) ways.

Thanks for your explanation. This is a whole new concept that I didn't know of. I think yt might be a good place to start.