Phone scam (a couple of examples)

lookagain

Elite Member
Before the recent days of threats to users/troubles listed under "Conversations," I was intending to
make this post.

In recent months, we sometimes get a phone call that states, "This is X Company. This call is being
recorded. Can you hear me?"

We hang up or tell them not to call us.

Or, the only thing that is said is, "Can you hear me?"

I shouted to that last one, "You're trying to trick me! Don't call back again!"

They want to hear the word "yes," of course, so that they can charge you money, because
they will have your voice saying it, and recording it to whatever they have in their system.

Before the recent days of threats to users/troubles listed under "Conversations," I was intending to
make this post.

In recent months, we sometimes get a phone call that states, "This is X Company. This call is being
recorded. Can you hear me?"

We hang up or tell them not to call us.

Or, the only thing that is said is, "Can you hear me?"

I shouted to that last one, "You're trying to trick me! Don't call back again!"

They want to hear the word "yes," of course, so that they can charge you money, because
they will have your voice saying it, and recording it to whatever they have in their system.
Thank you for sharing this -- I wouldn't have figured it out myself.

they will have your voice saying it
Yes, that scam was reported in AARP Magazine some years ago and in regular warnings in mainstream media, as well. If one subscribes to the Federal Trade Commission's daily, electronic newsletter, then one may read (each day) about a half dozen or so new scams and various schemes that individuals and businesses employ to lie, cheat and steal. (I'd canceled my subscription, after roughly two years, because I simply could not stomach multiple, daily reminders of the onslaught, anymore.)

Another phone scam is "one-ring-and-cut" where offshore entities call you and hang up after one ring, hoping that you will call back. If you do, you may be in for surprise charges on your phone bill because the scammers use offshore numbers which charge by the minute – similar to those 900-number services (horoscopes, chat with sexy women, tarot card readings). Some people see an area like 804 and think it's toll-free.

Best advice (I think) is: Never answer calls from ANY unknown numbers. If the call concerns something important, then the caller may leave a message. If a number has been spoofed, and you answer the call, then hang-up immediately as soon as something seems off.
[imath]\;[/imath]