Piecewise Functions

PrinceJ

I’m trying to do my AP calc summer work but got stuck on this one problem. I have no idea how to define this piecewise function as it is not a normal one. It looks like it possible has two quarter circles but circles are not functions so how do I define it (The rest of the questions are all like this)?

IMG-7633.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, and welcome to FMH! :)

It appears to me we have 3 parts, two circular, and one linear.

a) A circle of radius 1 centered at \((-4,0)\).

b) A circle of radius 3 centered at the origin.

c) A line with passing through \((0,3)\) and \((3,-3)\) which you've already found.

What are the other two parts?

The very first thing I'd note is that your "if x = 0" condition is redundant. Specifying that \(f(x) = -2x + 3, \: \text{if} \: 0 \leq x \leq 3\) would suffice because \(f({\color{red}0}) = -2({\color{red}0}) + 3 = 3\). That aside, I agree with your assessment that the portion of the graph in the upper-left quadrant looks like a quarter circle of radius 3. You (should) know that the equation of such a circle (were it complete) is \(x^2 + y^2 = 9\). In order to express this as a function, we want to write it in the form \(y = \text{(something)}\). So, how might you go about solving that equation for \(y\)? What restrictions on \(x\) are necessary to ensure it's a quarter circle rather than a half circle?

Finally, the portion of the graph in the lower-left quadrant also resembles a quarter circle. But what is its radius? What would the equation of that full circle be? How might you solve that for \(y\)? What restrictions on \(x\) are necessary to ensure it's a quarter circle rather than a half circle?

I’m trying to do my AP calc summer work but got stuck on this one problem. I have no idea how to define this piecewise function as it is not a normal one. It looks like it possible has two quarter circles but circles are not functions so how do I define it (The rest of the questions are all like this)?

View attachment 13251
\(\displaystyle f(x)=\begin{cases}\text{a quarter circle, center (-4,-1), radius 1} &, -4\le x\le -3
\\\text{a quarter circle, center (0,0), radius 3} &, -3\le x\le 0\\\text{ line segment } &, 0\le x\le 3 \end{cases}\)

View attachment 13251
"....but circles are not functions so how do I define it "

The circular part can be described as a function, if we restrict the domain, like<

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{y = \sqrt{r^2 - x^2}\ \ \ 0 \le x \le r}\)

"square-root" operation always returns positive value (by convention).