Pizza Party: 3 pizzas ordered, each split into 8 pieces.

carram

At a party, 3 pizzas were ordered for the children. Each pizza was divided into eighths. Lucy and 2 friends ate 1/3 of the pizza. Calvin ate 25 % of the pizza. Mike ate 2 slices, and Ricky ate 3/4 of what was left. What percent of the 3 original pizzas remains to be eaten?

Re: Pizza Party problem

carram said:
At a party, 3 pizzas were ordered for the children. Each pizza was divided into eighths. Lucy and 2 friends ate 1/3 of the pizza. Calvin ate 25 % of the pizza. Mike ate 2 slices, and Ricky ate 3/4 of what was left. What percent of the 3 original pizzas remains to be eaten?

Please show your work, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we know where to begin to help you.

carram said:
At a party, 3 pizzas were ordered for the children. Each pizza was divided into eighths. Lucy and 2 friends ate 1/3 of the pizza.
Can you at least solve this part: how many pieces did they eat?

So far I have:
Lucy & friends ate 8 pcs.?
Calvin ate 5 pcs.?
Mike ate 2 pcs.?
Ricky ate 6 3/4 pcs.?
for a total of 21 3/4 pcs. so 2 1/4 pcs. uneaten is what % ?

carram said:
So far I have:
Lucy & friends ate 8 pcs.?
Calvin ate 5 pcs.?
Mike ate 2 pcs.?
Ricky ate 6 3/4 pcs.?
for a total of 21 3/4 pcs. so 2 1/4 pcs. uneaten is what % ?

So, we start with 24 pieces total? Then if Lucy etc. ate 1/3, they had 8 pieces. Right.

For Calvin, I'm not sure where you got 5 pcs. If Calvin at 25% of what was left (16 pieces, because you started with 24 and Lucy etc. ate 8 of them), wouldn't that be 1/4 of two whole pizzas? If so, that would be 4 pcs, not 5 pcs.

16 * 0.25 = 4

To find 25 percent of something, we multiply by that percent number divided by 100 (25 / 100 = 0.25).

Anyway, whatever the actual number of slices remaining is, you figure out the percent in the opposite way: divide what is left by the original number of slices and multiply by 100. For example, if you think there are 2 1/4 pcs left (and it's hard for me to tell based on the wording of the problem), divide that by 24, which is the original number of slices, and multiply by 100 to get the percent (or move the decimal point two places to the left).