Place 7-n on the line

max_e_d

Screenshot_20201008-115104.jpg
Here above says 'Considering that the numbers 1 and n are in the right place. Place the number 7-n on the line.'

My conclusion is that 'n' is 3, so '7-n' should be placed after this number because 7-n equals 4. Am I right?

That's what I would do. (I'm assuming you recognize how far to the right to place it.)

I'm not sure n is exactly 3, but close enough.

[MATH]n > 1[/MATH]
[MATH]-n < -1[/MATH]
[MATH]7-n < 7-1[/MATH]
[MATH]7-n < 6[/MATH]

Why do you say that n>1? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know why.
Clearly n is to the right of 1 on the number line. I don't think you're asking why it's true, but why it's worth mentioning.

I think the point is that if we don't think we can judge the relative distances accurately, then the least we know is that n > 1; but all we can conclude then is that 7-n is to the left of 6. We can't be sure that it is to the right of 3.

My conclusion is that we must be intended to estimate distances, as you did. In fact, it looks like about 2.85 by my measurement:

1602202682396.png

Was the question supposed to be measured specifically (like with a ruler) or rounded?

Was the question supposed to be measured specifically (like with a ruler) or rounded?
I'm not sure, but considering that the other q
Clearly n is to the right of 1 on the number line. I don't think you're asking why it's true, but why it's worth mentioning.

I think the point is that if we don't think we can judge the relative distances accurately, then the least we know is that n > 1; but all we can conclude then is that 7-n is to the left of 6. We can't be sure that it is to the right of 3.

My conclusion is that we must be intended to estimate distances, as you did. In fact, it looks like about 2.85 by my measurement:

View attachment 22165
Thanks for your reply, it's very clear.