Plane & time problem: The plane left City A at 08:00 and arrived in City B at 10:00....

nanase

Hello I need help in approaching and calculating the total time for this problem :
plane time.jpg
the answer said it should be 240 mins, but I am calculating simply the time spent
plane time ans.jpeg
what did I miss here? does it have anything to do with time zone? if yes , how do i calculate foward and backward in time without getting lost?

Last edited:
Hello I need help in approaching and calculating the total time for this problem :
View attachment 36699
the answer said it should be 240 mins, but I am calculating simply the time spent
View attachment 36700
what did I miss here? does it have anything to do with time zone? if yes , how do i calculate foward and backward in time without getting lost?

When you fly to another city x hours pass on your watch (flight duration). To set your watch to the local time you adjust it by y hours (add or subtract). The combined change in time on your watch is what?
When you fly back x hours pass on your watch. To set your watch to the local time you adjust it by y hours (in the opposite direction). The combined change in time on your watch is what?

Can you set up a system of 2 equations based on the above?

city A is East of city B by two time zones ...

flying East to West one gains two local hours at destination; flying West to East one loses two local hours at destination

Let x be the difference between the two different time zone. So 2+x=6-x.
Continue.

Thank you guys, now I understand it. The variable x that I am solving is the difference in time between two cities.
I try to reflect why I am not getting the question. I am confused with the time given in the question, whether it is the time displayed on my watch (without adjusting) or the time after it is adjusted?

how do you guys know the scenario should be like that? is it assumptions? or just read as it is?

Let x be the actual time to go from A to B without time zone being involved. That is if you had a stop watch it would read x hours counting from the start of the trip to the end of the trip.
Now let y be the time difference between point A and point B.
Clearly it is earlier in city B than city A (why is that?)
Including time zone adjustment it took 2hr to go from A to B. That is x-y = 2
Including time zone adjustment it took 6hr to go from A to B. That is x+y = 6
You want to solve for x and convert it to minutes.

Thank you guys, now I understand it. The variable x that I am solving is the difference in time between two cities.
I try to reflect why I am not getting the question. I am confused with the time given in the question, whether it is the time displayed on my watch (without adjusting) or the time after it is adjusted?

how do you guys know the scenario should be like that? is it assumptions? or just read as it is?
Here's an easier approach.
You left A at 8 and came back at 18. For how long were you gone? This time period consists of 2 flights and a layover. The 2 flights are x hours each. How long was the layover? Add the 3 values, that's your equation.

wow why when it is worded like this it becomes so easy?
2x + 2 hours rest = 10 hours
2x = 8 hours
x = 4 hours
Thank youuuu....
You left A at 8 and came back at 18. For how long were you gone? This time period consists of 2 flights and a layover. The 2 flights are x hours each. How long was the layover? Add the 3 values, that's your equation.

You nailed this one! Good job!

wow why when it is worded like this it becomes so easy?
2x + 2 hours rest = 10 hours
2x = 8 hours
x = 4 hours
Thank youuuu....
That is what happens in math. I remember working on some advanced problems for days (no so unusual) and after looking at the problem (usually a proof of some theorem) the correct way the result was trivial.
lev888 hit on the correct way to solve this. Your hint about time zones I suspect through some of us off track. That one little comment had all of us looking (initially) at time zones. lev888 last post just looked at the time from the point of view from someone at point A.

That is what happens in math. I remember working on some advanced problems for days (no so unusual) and after looking at the problem (usually a proof of some theorem) the correct way the result was trivial.
lev888 hit on the correct way to solve this. Your hint about time zones I suspect through some of us off track. That one little comment had all of us looking (initially) at time zones. lev888 last post just looked at the time from the point of view from someone at point A.
There are several correct ways to solve this. My second attempt was easier to understand and solve (one equation vs system), but I wouldn't say it was more correct.