"PLANNING THE PLATFORM" (IMP 3 POW 9)

beevaj

River City is getting ready for the big Fourth of July band concert that precedes the fireworks. The concert is always a major event, but this year the band leader, Kevin, plans to make it bigger and better than ever.

Kevin wants to have each of the baton twirlers standing on an individual platform. The baton twirlers will toss batons up and down to one another. Kevin wants the difference in height from one platform to the next to be the same.

• Kevin's decisions
    He needs to decide on the number of platforms.
    He needs to decide on the height of the platform.
    He needs to decide on the difference in the height from one platform to the next.
Camilla is in charge of building and decorating the structure. She needs a permit from the city to build the structure, so she needs to know how high the tallest platform will be. She also plans to hang colorful strip of materials on the front of each platform. Each platform will reach from the top of the platform to the ground. (the width of the material is the same as the width of each platform.) She needs to know the total length of the material that she would buy. Camilla is going crazy, because she can't do her job until Kevin makes his decisions.

Your Task
You are Camilla's assistant, and she asked you to be ready to give her the information she needs as soon as Kevin makes up his mind.

Your task is in this POW is to create two formulas that will allow you to do this instantly. One formula should tell you the height of the tallest platform. The other should tell you the total length of material that Camilla will need. Your formulas should give these results in terms of the number of platforms, the height of the first platform, and the difference on height between the adjacent platforms.

My variables:

N= # of platforms
H= height of the first platform
D= differece between the platforms

My thoughts so far:

All I been doing is putting in numbers for the variables. But I am not able to come up with a formula that will bonds these connections together.

After a while of plugging numbers in and seeing what happened, I finally found the first equation (I think):

Tallest Height= D * (N-1) + H

Now I just need to come up with the second one.... :D

GUESS WHAT!!
Im so happy!! :lol:
I found the second equation!!!
TOOK ME A LONG TIME!!!!

its...
N= # of platforms
H= height of the first platform
D= differece between the platforms
T= Tallest Platform Height

(T+H) * (.5N)