Please check answer on concentration and dilution of solution (not sure which forum?)

Kate2001

My question comes from on-line advice on how to make your own hand sanitizer with ⅔ c of 91% alcohol and ⅓ c aloe gel. I'm starting with 70% alcohol and can't figure out what proportion of alcohol to aloe would still keep the concentration of alcohol above 60%. I read the formula v1 x c1=v2 x c2 but I'm not sure I chose the right variables. I used 240ml to approximate a cup. If the final liquid is (240ml x .60), then you'd want to find how much 70% solution to use, so (v2 x .70)? Result being 205 ml of 70% alcohol and 35ml of aloe? Is this right? Thanks so much.

My question comes from on-line advice on how to make your own hand sanitizer with ⅔ c of 91% alcohol and ⅓ c aloe gel. I'm starting with 70% alcohol and can't figure out what proportion of alcohol to aloe would still keep the concentration of alcohol above 60%. I read the formula v1 x c1=v2 x c2 but I'm not sure I chose the right variables. I used 240ml to approximate a cup. If the final liquid is (240ml x .60), then you'd want to find how much 70% solution to use, so (v2 x .70)? Result being 205 ml of 70% alcohol and 35ml of aloe? Is this right? Thanks so much.
To check your answer:

Total volume of fluid = 240

Volume of Alcohol needed= 240*.6 = 144

volume of alcohol added = 205 *0.7 = ????

Wait a minute. What's the 144? Volume of alcohol needed should be more than 144, more than the 205 ml of 91%alcohol, even.

It was me who asked this question on another post.
The reply I got on my post made sense, the reply on here has completely confused me :)