please help in a hurry thanks!

lillybeth

Guy decides to get in shape by running. The first day, he runs 1 mile in 12 minutes. Two months later he has decreased his mile time by 25%. What is his mile time now?

Guy decides to get in shape by running. The first day, he runs 1 mile in 12 minutes. Two months later he has decreased his mile time by 25%. What is his mile time now?

Since you have no idea - let us start with definitions....

What is meant by "...decreased his mile time by 25%"? With respect to which value this decrease was measured?

Tell us what you find......

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (not a statement like "Don't know any of these")

Please share your work with us indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

Since you have no idea - let us start with definitions....

What is meant by "...decreased his mile time by 25%"? With respect to which value this decrease was measured?

Tell us what you find......

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (not a statement like "Don't know any of these")

Please share your work with us indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.
I know what decreased means and im sure you do too. I just dont know turn that into a proportion or somthing like that. So confused.

I know what decreased means and im sure you do too. I just dont know turn that into a proportion or somthing like that. So confused.
I figured it out. nine.

We know you know what "decreased" means, but since you are so confused, we need to start with whether you understand exactly what "decreased by 25%" means. There is no point getting shirty with people who are trying to help you, particularly when they are not being paid to put up with it. The road to understanding always requires understanding what the words used mean exactly, not "sorta."

We know you know what "decreased" means, but since you are so confused, we need to start with whether you understand exactly what "decreased by 25%" means. There is no point getting shirty with people who are trying to help you, particularly when they are not being paid to put up with it. The road to understanding always requires understanding what the words used mean exactly, not "sorta."
ok.

You really should know that "25%" is 1/4. 25% means \(\displaystyle \frac{25}{100}= \frac{25}{4(25)}= \frac{1}{4}\). What is 1/4 of 12 minutes? And if his time has decreased from 12 by that amount. What is left?

You could also recognize that \(\displaystyle \frac{25}{100}= 0.25\) and us 0.25 rather than 1/4. They are just different ways to write the same thing of course.

Or you could think that reducing from 100% (the original value) by 25% leaves 100- 25= 75%. What is 75% of 12?

Or you could think that reducing from 1 (the original value) by 1/4 leaves 1- 1/4= 3/4. What is 3/4 of 12?

There are many different ways to do a math problem.

You really should know that "25%" is 1/4. 25% means \(\displaystyle \frac{25}{100}= \frac{25}{4(25)}= \frac{1}{4}\). What is 1/4 of 12 minutes? And if his time has decreased from 12 by that amount. What is left?

You could also recognize that \(\displaystyle \frac{25}{100}= 0.25\) and us 0.25 rather than 1/4. They are just different ways to write the same thing of course.

Or you could think that reducing from 100% (the original value) by 25% leaves 100- 25= 75%. What is 75% of 12?

Or you could think that reducing from 1 (the original value) by 1/4 leaves 1- 1/4= 3/4. What is 3/4 of 12?

There are many different ways to do a math problem.
K.