Please help me System of linear equation in two variables!!!

Bea

Is it possible to use substitution or elimination to solve a system of linear equation in two variables if one equation represent a vertical line and the other equation represent a horizontal line? Explain your answer.....

Is it possible to use substitution or elimination to solve a system of linear equation in two variables if one equation represent a vertical line and the other equation represent a horizontal line? Explain your answer.....
Please write equations of:

A vertical line and

A horizontal. Line

Beer soaked reply follows.
Is it possible to use substitution or elimination to solve a system of linear equation in two variables if one equation represent a vertical line and the other equation represent a horizontal line? ...
Yes it is.

In that question there's no equation given ...
We want you write general equations.

General equation of a line with slope 'm' and y-intercept 'c' is = ??

Similarly write two general equations for:

a vertical line and​
a horizontal line.​

Beer soaked reply follows.

Yes it is.
I would say No it's not.
Bea, if you don't want to write the "general" equations, it may help to look at the equations of specific lines.
Draw a set of axes on grid paper, and then draw a vertical line and a horizontal line somewhere on it. Write the equations of these lines. What do you notice?

We want you write general equations.

General equation of a line with slope 'm' and y-intercept 'c' is = ??

Similarly write two general equations for:

a vertical line and​
a horizontal line.​
Sorry I don't have any examples...That is the only question on my homework...But could you give me examples about general equation for a horizontal and vertical line???...Thanks

[MATH] [QUOTE="Harry_the_cat, post: 523925, member: 53387"] I would say No it's not. Bea, if you don't want to write the "general" equations, it may help to look at the equations of specific lines. Draw a set of axes on grid paper, and then draw a vertical line and a horizontal line somewhere on it. Write the equations of these lines. What do you notice? [/QUOTE] [/MATH]But there's no general equation given in that question.Just give me an example of general equation of horizontal and vertical line cause and then it is possible to solve with Elimination and Substitution method???Thanks I hope you will answer......

Sorry I don't have any examples...That is the only question on my homework...But could you give me examples about general equation for a horizontal and vertical line???...Thanks

What is the "slope" of a horizontal line - parallel to the x-axis (or perpendicular to the y-axis)?

What is the "slope" of a vertical line - perpendicular to the x-axis (or parallel to the y-axis)?

Consult your text-book, consult your class notes, consult Google!!

I'll tell you. The equation of the y-axis is x=0 because every single point on that line has an x-coordinate of 0. If you draw a vertical line one unit to the right of the y-axis, what can you say about every point on that line? So what would its equation be?

What is the "slope" of a horizontal line - parallel to the x-axis (or perpendicular to the y-axis)?

What is the "slope" of a vertical line - perpendicular to the x-axis (or parallel to the y-axis)?

Consult your text-book, consult your class notes, consult Google!!
0x+y=4 the equation of horizontal line slope:0
x+0y=4 the equation of vertical line slope:0

I'll tell you. The equation of the y-axis is x=0 because every single point on that line has an x-coordinate of 0. If you draw a vertical line one unit to the right of the y-axis, what can you say about every point on that line? So what would its equation be?
This is the equation 0x+y=4 and x+0y=4.... It can be solve using elimination and substitution method?

Not sure where the 4 is coming from. P.ease just answer my question. I am trying to help you understand.

Draw any vertical line and then write down the equation of that line.

Draw any horizontal line and then write down its equation.

I am going to give this one.

Draw any vertical line and you will see that while the y value changes, the x value does not change. So the form of a vertical line is x=c, where c is a constant.

Draw any horizontal line and you will see that while the x value changes, the y value does not change. So the form of a horizontal line is y=k, where k is a constant.

So if you have a system of equations where for example
x=7
y=9
then the solution is simple (7,9).

There is no need to substitute or eliminate.
You can't eliminate since there is no y to eliminate in the vertical line and x to eliminate in the horizontal line.
There is nothing to substitute from one equation into the other equation.

Last edited:
I am going to give this one.

Draw any vertical line and you will see that while the y value changes, the x value does not change. So the form of a vertical line is x=c, where c is a constant.

Draw any horizontal line and you will see that while the x value changes, the y value does not change. So the form of a horizontal line is y=k, where k is a constant.

So if you have a system of equations where for example
x=7
y=9
then the solution is simple (7,9).
Thanks but can I use Elimination and substitution method to solve this???