Please HELP ME TOMORROW IS MY STATE EXAM(NJSLA) AND I NEED HELP WITH MY REVIEW PACKET (Q1)

DO YOU THINK I WILL PASS THE STATE TEST

• HOPEFULLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HI SISTERS

Sarah earns $525 more than Andrew each month. They spend $1,250 a month and save the rest. Sarah does not have any savings at first. After 11 months, she has $8,250 in savings. How much does Andrew earn each year?

I suspect that you will fail if you do not even try.
What have you tried? Do you know that showing us your work is one of the rules of the forum. So please abide my the rules, show us your work and you'll receive help.

BTW, this is a terrible worded problem. Does Sarah work? If yes, then how much does she earn? Does Andrew also have a savings account? What portion of their savings go into Andrew's account? Does Andrew have any savings prior to this arrangement??

Problem probably means (a = Andrew' salary):
11(a + 525 - 1250) = 8250 ; solve for a.

....and they probably don't know each other!!

Problem probably means (a = Andrew' salary):
11(a + 525 - 1250) = 8250 ; solve for a.

....and they probably don't know each other!!
I guess some of my concerns were not warranted like if Sarah works. This was given. It was not given if Andrew had a savings account prior to this arrangement.

Having said all this, one again Sir Denis has made a mistake. Their monthly income is NOT a +525 but rather 2a + 525.
So solve 11(2a + 525 - 1250) = 8250 where a = Andrew's monthly salary.

So solve 11(2a + 525 - 1250) = 8250 where a = Andrew's monthly salary.
Agree BUT ONLY IF they are joint: living together et al.
I did state that I was treating the problem as if Sarah only
was saving the money; problem states:
"Sarah does not have any savings at first. After 11 months, she has $8,250 in savings".
Does not state that Andrew was involved: he gambles !!

BUT if it's a joint venture, then you're correct for once!!

I would be inclined to interpret "They spend $1,250 a month" as meaning they each spend $1250 a month, not that they save as a couple, are a couple, or even know each other. Let "a" be Andrew's monthly income. "Sarah earns $525 more than Andrew each month" so Sarah's monthly income is a+ 525. If Sarah spends $1250 a month, she saves a+ 525- 1250= a- 725. "Sarah does not have any savings at first. After 11 months, she has $8,250 in savings." So 11(a- 725)= 11a- 7975= 8250. Solve that for a. (Andrew needs to find a better paying job!)