please help quickly - Urgent Thanks

kiley1018

I need to figure out the volume of a pool.

The top view is 75ft x 24ft
the side view is 4ft deep on one side and 10ft deep on the other side.
there is 40ft of shallow end and 18ft of deep end. The triangle is 17ft x 6ft. The triangle also has a right angle.

Calculated the top surface area of the pool - 1800 sq.ft.
calculated the area of the side view - 459 sq.ft.
calculated the total volume - 459 sq.ft x 24 ft is 11,016 cu.ft.

Here is where I am stuck next question:
If the pool is to be filled with water to within six inches of the top, calculate the amount of water, in cubic feet, needed to fill the pool.

I have no idea how to do this and anyway I try my volume of the six inches is way more then the total volume.

Please help asap

Email with any questions [deleted]
I can send you a copy of my sheet if you would like it. I need help with this fast.

You should NEVER leave your email address in a public forum.

kiley1018 said:
If the pool is to be filled with water to within six inches of the top, calculate the amount of water, in cubic feet, needed to fill the pool.
Subtract 0.5 feet from the height of the pool, find the cross-sectional (side-view) area of what's left, and multiply by the width.

Eliz.

P.S. To receive e-mail notification of replies, tick the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option, directly below the message-entry box. Also, please keep in mind that there is no paid staff waiting on-hand to provide instant solutions. The tutors are volunteers who surf by when they are able. You should expect to wait hours, if not days, for an online reply. Thank you.

ok so then i get 10,104 cubic feet total of the volume of the pool minus the 6 inches. Right??

I dont get what the cross sectional thing is.

But then the next one is how many gallons and there is 7.48 gallons per cubic foot
so i need to take 10104 X 7.48 Right??

kiley1018 said:
I dont get what the cross sectional thing is.
You listed dimensions for a "side view". Find that area, after lowering the height by 0.5 feet.

When you reply, please provide clarification of the dimension and the "right triangle", keeping in mind that we can't see the picture you're looking at. For instance, you say the deep end is 18 feet long and the shallow end is 40 feet long, for a total of 58 feet, but then you say the entire pool is 75 feet long...?

Thank you.

Eliz.

sorry, I have it that way because the I have it put into sections - The triangle has the 90 degree angle with a base of 17 ft and height of 6 ft.

OK then I figured out that the total without the six inches is 10,104.

To get the total gallons - I have to take the 10104 cubic ft and times that by the 7.48 gallons becuase it says that 7.48 gallons is equal to one cubic foot Right??

If I did this right then I get the rest of it and I thank you so much for you help.