Please help solve this!

Mcoffey

A couple whom share rent each split rent and each owe 500 dollars to rent. The boyfriend does not have his share so the girlfriend covers his share of 500 dollars with the promise to pay it back.The boyfriend gets arrested and needs bailed out for 1000 dollars. The girlfriend takes 1000 dollars ( her share of rent and his share that she paid for) . The girlfriend takes the 1000 dollars and bails him out. Before she does this she gets an agreement from the boyfriends boss that the boss would give the boyfriend a 1000 dollar loan to the boyfriend so that the 1000 dollars the girlfriend paid to bail would be replaced to pay rent (wich is 1000) . The boyfriend does not think he owes her back 500 dollars because his boss paid 1000 to rent already. However the girlfriend is out 500 dollars. Does the boyfriend still owe the girlfriend?

It would help if you wrote in English.

If the girlfriend paid 1000 in rent, 500 on her account and 500 on her neer-do-well boyfriend's account, and then paid 1000 for his bail money, she has paid out a TOTAL of 2000, 1500 more than she needed to, and her boyfriend owes her 1500. The fact that her boyfriend cannot admit this explains why he needed bail money in the first place.

That is the mathematics of it.

The practicality of it is that she should have kicked her shiftless raggedy-ass boyfriend out of the apartment when he stiffed her on the rent, invited some solvent man to move in with her, and told her sorry ex to pay his own bail. Notice that this would have avoided any necessity to wallow in higher mathematics. There are rare cases where mathematics is a necessity, but a modicum of common sense will preclude that unfortunate necessity in 99 out of a 100 cases.

Last edited:
I think she hasn't paid the rent yet. This is where the bail money came from. So, yes, he owes her $500. And she owes it to herself to throw his sorry a$$ out.

I ultimately had to kick him out and get a restraining order due to the fact that he assaulted me because i would not give him 500 dollars he thinks i owed him..because he felt like he paid his share because he got loan from boss..however could not understand that either he owed me 500 in rent or 500 in bail..also got restraining order
It would help if you wrote in English.

If the girlfriend paid 1000 in rent, 500 on her account and 500 on her neer-do-well boyfriend's account, and then paid 1000 for his bail money, she has paid out a TOTAL of 2000, 1500 more than she needed to, and her boyfriend owes her 1500. The fact that her boyfriend cannot admit this explains why he needed bail money in the first place.

That is the mathematics of it.

The practicality of it is that she should have kicked her shiftless raggedy-ass boyfriend out of the apartment when he stiffed her on the rent, invited some solvent man to move in with her, and told her sorry ex to pay his own bail. Notice that this would have avoided any necessity to wallow in higher mathematics. There are rare cases where mathematics is a necessity, but a modicum of common sense will preclude that unfortunate necessity in 99 out of a 100 cases.

I agree... I knew i was correct...however i questioned myself for moment

How could "He got a loan from his boss" not count as his money? He will have to pay it back.

How could "He got a loan from his boss" not count as his money? He will have to pay it back.

Yes the loan from his boss of 1000 was used to pay rent. The same amount of rent that i used for bail. 500 of wich was his share that i covered because he could not pay. So he owes 1000 back to his boss for loan and 500 back to me for his share of rent

OK I have the picture right, I think.

You did pay the rent of 1000, which meant he owed you 500.

His boss then lent him 1000, which was delivered to you and used for bail money.

Eventually, he paid his boss back the 1000 because he needs the job.

So between you and the boss, you two paid 2000, 1000 for rent and 1000 for bail. He paid the boss back, but he didn't pay you back. Do I have it now?

I hope he was cute, because he is either dumb as a rock or else as crooked as a snake. Try getting a magistrate to put a lien on the bail bond for 500. Then, so long as he does not skip on the bond, you will eventually get your money back.