Please help with my homework

MathStudent17314

I have completed almost all of the questions but I am stuck on a few and this is one of them. It is due by today so if someone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Local maximum=
Local minimum= (smaller x value)
Local minimum= (larger x value)

Increasing=
Decreasing= (Enter answers in interval notation)
math1.PNG

Well, it would be most helpful if you showed us what you did complete.

I completed the other problems on the assignment is what I meant sorry for the confusion!
Well, that really doesn't give us anywhere to start helping you. What do you know about maxima and minima? What's the difference between global and local? Is there a way to find them analytically or are we just drawing pictures? You have to give us something to go on.

You really can't see that the min is at (-3,-2).
You definition is wrong. The minimum is where the y-value is the least and the max is where the y-value is the highest. Maybe that is why you could not figure out the answers.

We really don't know anything about the function outside the provided Domain. Will what we are seeing truly provide the same conclusions that would be made with the whole function known? We can certainly make some local conclusions.

You really can't see that the min is at (-3,-2).
[Your] definition is wrong …
The exercise asks for two local minimums, so we can't really describe either as "the min".

Also, those aren't definitions, Jomo. They're instructions. Could be rewritten thusly:

Local minimum (at the smaller x value) =
Local minimum (at the larger x value) =

?

… I am stuck …
Hi MathStudent. On a graph, local minimums and maximums appear as turning points. Looking at your graph, we see two local areas where the graph is decreasing and then turns around and is increasing. The lowest point in each of those areas represents a "local" minimum value of y.

There's also a turning point where the graph is increasing and then turns around and is decreasing. The highest point in that "local" area is a local maximum y-value.

Some people would define the y-value at the graph's two endpoints as local maximums, also (because each endpoint shows the largest y-value in its respective "local" area), but I would ignore the endpoints in this exercise because the question asks for only one local maximum.

It's customary to report local minimums and maximums as an (x,y) pair because that shows both the minimum/maximum (the y-value) and the location where it occurs (the x-value).

As Jomo posted, the first local minimum of y (reading the graph left-to-right) is -2, and it occurs when x is -3. We can report that local minimum as the point (-3,-2).

Let us know, if you need more help. Please include what you've done so far.

?

The exercise asks for two local minimums, so we can't really describe either as "the min".

Also, those aren't definitions, Jomo. They're instructions. Could be rewritten thusly:

Local minimum (at the smaller x value) =
Local minimum (at the larger x value) =

?
What do you expect from me when I answer questions while in the corner half asleep? Yes, that was sloppy reading on my part!