Please, help with this equation/problem

mr2

Find the value of y which the expression (1-y)(3-y)(6-y) has the given value of 3-1/8.
According to teacher's key the answer was 3-1/2, but no one can get that, including teacher.

What am I not seeing? Thanks.

Thank you. It is the solving for y and setting up, I do not see. How would you set this up to get the answer? TIA.

(1 - y)(3 - y)(6 - y)

substitute 7/2 for y ...

(1 - 7/2)(3 - 7/2)(6 - 7/2) =

(-5/2)(-1/2)(5/2) = 25/8 = 3 and 1/8

skeeter said:
(1 - y)(3 - y)(6 - y)

substitute 7/2 for y ...

(1 - 7/2)(3 - 7/2)(6 - 7/2) =

(-5/2)(-1/2)(5/2) = 25/8 = 3 and 1/8

Thank you!! I see it, now.

mr2 said:
Thank you. It is the solving for y and setting up, I do not see. How would you set this up to get the answer? TIA.

What level of math are you doing.

If in high school, best way to solve cubic is to plot and estimate and then check.

If you know calculus - then there is a method called "Newton's method" to find real roots of a polynomial - which can be used.

mr2 said:
Find the value of y which the expression (1-y)(3-y)(6-y) has the given value of 3-1/8.
According to teacher's key the answer was 3-1/2, but no one can get that, including teacher.
(1 - y)(3 - y)(6 - y) = 25/8 ; simplifies (or complicates!) to:
8y^3 - 80y^2 + 216y - 119 = 0
The "teacher" can't solve a cubic ? :shock:

I'm guessing that the answer key gave the value that you were supposed to find, rather than the value you were supposed to "check". Is this correct? :?:

As previously mentioned, solving cubics is kind of rough, especially when you don't have calculus. :!:

The graphing method will work, of course: Go into GRAPH mode on your calculator, and, for Y1, enter [open paren] 1 [-] [var key] [close paren], etc, etc, until you have the whole expression entered (using "X" instead of "y"); then tack a "[-] 25/8" on the end. In this way, the x-intercept of your graph will be the x-value that makes (1 - x)(3 - x)(6 - x) equal to 25/8 = 3<sup>1</sup>/<sub>8</sub>, since, if they're equal, subtracting them will give you zero. :idea:

To do this by "exact" means (and I'll give this to you because I wouldn't expect this from an Algebra II student), you could do the following jiggery-pokery:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L (1-y)(3-y)(6-y)=\frac{25}{8}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L (3-2-y)(3-y)(3+3-y)=\frac{25}{2\times 2\times 2}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L ((3-y)-2)(3-y)((3-y)+3)=\frac{5\times 5}{2\times 2\times 2}\)

I have three factors on the left, and a cube in the denominator on the right. So I probably need everything on the left to somehow get a denominator of "2". Also, I have a square, (5)(5) = 25, on the right, and three factors on the left. If I can get the left to be in the form of (5)(5)(1), I may be on the right track. So:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L \left(\frac{2\left[(3-y)-2\right]}{2}\right) \left(\frac{2\left[3-y)\right]}{2}\right) \left(\frac{2\left[(3-y)+3\right]}{2}\right) = \frac{5\times 5}{2 \times 2\times 2}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L \frac{8\left[(6-2y)-4\right]\left[(6-2y)\right]\left[(6-2y)+6\right]}{2\times 2\times 2} =
\frac{5 \times 5}{2 \times 2\times 2}\)

If I had the following:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L (x-4)(x)(x+6)=25\)

...I might notice that, if x = -1, I would then have:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L (-5)(-1)(5) = (5)(5) = 25\)

Of course, I don't have the equation in terms of "x", even if we ignore the denominators. But -- if we do ignore those denominators, let "x" replace "6 - 2y", and add in 2's account for the "8" in front, I then have:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L \left[2(x-4)\right]\left[2(x)\right]\left[2(x+6)\right] = 25\)

Instead of needing -5, -1, and 5, I now need -5/2, -1/2, and 5/2, in order to cancel off those leading 2's and get 25 as my result. In other words:

. . . . .2(x - 4) = -5/2
. . . . .x - 4 = -5
. . . . .x = -1

But I'm letting "x" stand for "6 - 2y", so:

. . . . .6 - 2y = -1
. . . . .6 = -1 + 2y
. . . . .7 = 2y
. . . . .y = 7/2

And that's the answer they gave you. But how on earth they'd expected you to arrive at that (at your present level of study), I don't know! :shock:

Eliz.

Denis said:
The "teacher" can't solve a cubic ? :shock:
Teacher could but not at my level of math. :) Decided not a fair question for class. Thanks for your help.