Please help with this question

SusDuck

Air is being pumped into two spherical balloons that stand side-by-side and are initially 1 metre apart. The volume of the first balloon at any given time, ?, is increasing at a rate of 0.5?. Initially, ?1=5??^3. The volume of the second balloon at any given time, ?2, is increasing at a rate equal to 0.6?. After 2 seconds, ?2=8??^3. Determine how long it will take for the balloons radii to be 20 cm apart. Justify your answer.

Air is being pumped into two spherical balloons that stand side-by-side and are initially 1 metre apart. The volume of the first balloon at any given time, ?, is increasing at a rate of 0.5?. Initially, ?1=5??^3. The volume of the second balloon at any given time, ?2, is increasing at a rate equal to 0.6?. After 2 seconds, ?2=8??^3. Determine how long it will take for the balloons radii to be 20 cm apart. Justify your answer.
What is the expression for volume of a sphere?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

math is not a spectator sport. You need to be involved in solving your problem. If you had read and followed the posting guidelines you would have received help by now.

The problem seems defective. If this isn't your wording, and you are asking us what it means, you'll have to ask the author to explain.

What does it mean for two radii to be a given distance apart? Please define. Was there a picture with this? My guess is that it means the difference between the radii is 20 cm, since the distance between the balloons (their centers? their surfaces?) is greater than that at the start.

Also, I'm not sure what it means for a rate of increase in volume to be 0.5V or 0.6V; the units are wrong. And there are three variables, V, V1, and V2; are V and V1 the same thing?

Sorry, so where I'm stuck is how to solve for t. The working out is attached, but at the last line, I don't know how I can solve for t.
1.png2.png3.png

I have a concern with your very first line.
What are the units of dV/dt?
What are the units of .5V?
Are they the same?

I stated that I have a problem with the problem you posted. Are you just going to ignore my concerns. I will tell you that this is not the way to learn.

Yes, thank you. I just realised. But now I found the answer. It's =13.19
I'd like to see your work, in detail, as well as how you interpreted the problem. I mentioned several errors in it in #4.

It appears that you corrected it to something like this:

Air is being pumped into two spherical balloons that stand side-by-side (with their centers horizontally aligned) and are initially 1 metre apart (between their centers).​
The volume of the first balloon at any given time, ?1 cm3, is increasing at a rate of 0.5?1 cm3/s. Initially, ?1=5??^3.​
The volume of the second balloon at any given time, ?2 cm3, is increasing at a rate equal to 0.6? cm3/s. After 2 seconds, ?2=8??^3.​
Determine how long it will take for the balloons radii to be 20 cm apart (between their surfaces). Justify your answer.​

The main trouble I have with this interpretation is the discrepancy in how you are measuring distance between balloons, implied by your work

1660251819977.png

This appears to say that 100 is the (fixed) distance between their centers, while 20 is the final distance between their surfaces.

To me, if two balloons "stand side by side", I would see them more like this:

1660252134109.png

But that would make the problem a lot harder, so I don't mind that change to

1660252533366.png

Have you asked about the meaning of the problem? Is what you showed us an exact copy, or did you paraphrase it? Can you show us an image of the original?