Please say please and thankyou

Harry_the_cat

Elite Member
As a volunteer real-person helper on this site (not a robot), I'd like to ask students who ask for assistance to kindly say please when asking for help and to send a courtesy thankyou when your query has been addressed. Many of you already do that, but more than a few don't, and it is rather annoying (disappointing even) when you have taken the time and effort to reply to a query never to hear from them again. I am very reluctant to give any help to anyone who doesn't ask nicely or thank me for the previous response - call me old-fashioned - but that's the world I'd like to live in. Rant over!

In a university math lab, I tutor in person. Certain tutees do not thank me after a session. My first name is on a card
hanging on a lanyard. In particular, there is a female student in an applied calculus course, who is about 20-years-old
to 22-years-old, and is a student-athlete * who I tutor.
She does not greet me, say "thank you," or say any type of goodbye to me. In the beginning, to get my attention,
she would clear her throat until I said, "Please call me by my first name. It's on my name card."
Recently, I was due to end my shift for the day while helping her on a math computer quiz. I said I would work past
my time so I could check her answers before she clicked "submit" for a score. I worked 25 minutes more past the end
of my shift. She got 100% of the questions correct, and I congratulated her on that. Again, she did not thank me
for the help, and she left without saying a goodbye.

If I were not employed there, I would not allow her to be a repeat tutee for me.

* I added those details, because I wonder if those add to a sense of entitlement about the tutee..

Last edited: