PMI and sequences

Math3546

Could someone help me?

Attachments

• EB6B8D23-46F7-4906-BB42-117D30F0AC41.jpeg
    EB6B8D23-46F7-4906-BB42-117D30F0AC41.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
I did most of these questions but not sure how to make it a constant. Do I just substitute with numbers? Also, I have some trouble with the last question iii) and iv ).
Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

(N)ot sure how to make it a constant.
\(\displaystyle \large v_n=a+(n-1)d\) and \(\displaystyle \large u_n=\large2^{v_n}\)
\(\displaystyle \large{\dfrac{v_{n+1}}{v_n}=\dfrac{2^{a+nd}}{2^{a+(n-1)d}}=?}\)
Can you subtract exponents?

\(\displaystyle \large v_n=a+(n-1)d\) and \(\displaystyle \large u_n=\large2^{v_n}\)
\(\displaystyle \large{\dfrac{v_{n+1}}{v_n}=\dfrac{2^{a+nd}}{2^{a+(n-1)d}}=?}\)
Can you subtract exponents?
Yeah, so it’s 2^-d and d doesn't equal to zero which means that 2^un is a constant

Yeah, so it’s 2^-d and d doesn't equal to zero which means that 2^un is a constant
How did you get \(\displaystyle 2^{-d}~?\)
\(\displaystyle \Large{\dfrac{2^{a+nd}}{2^{a+(n-1)d}}=?}\)

Ohh sorry, it’s actually 2^d. you do 2a+dn /2a+dn-d ,then we remove the parenthesis and we have 2^(a+dn) /2^(a+dn-d). We simplify the expansion and we get 2^d. Just wondering, do u have any idea how to do b) iii) and iv )?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh sorry, it’s actually 2^d. you do 2a+dn /2a+dn-d ,then we remove the parenthesis and we have 2^(a+dn) /2^(a+dn-d). We simplify the expansion and we get 2^d. Just wondering, do u have any idea how to do b) iii) and iv )?
I accidentally wrote everything in the power square but hopefully, you understand what I’ve meant

Last edited by a moderator:
I accidentally wrote everything in the power square but hopefully, you understand what I’ve meant
Because this has been kicking around, and I think it may be flawed, I will answer.
The sequence \(\displaystyle \Large{v_n=2^{a+(n-1)d}}\) that is part a) (iii).
For b) (i)\(\displaystyle \large{ S_m=\sum\limits_{n = 1}^m {{2^{a + (n - 1)d}}}=\dfrac{2^{a}(2^{md-1)})}{2^d-1}}\) SEE HERE

b) (iii) \(\displaystyle {S_\infty } = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {{2^{a + (n - 1)d}}} = - \frac{{{2^a}}}{{{2^d} - 1}}\text{ where }2^d<1\)

Because this has been kicking around, and I think it may be flawed, I will answer.
The sequence \(\displaystyle \Large{v_n=2^{a+(n-1)d}}\) that is part a) (iii).
For b) (i)\(\displaystyle \large{ S_m=\sum\limits_{n = 1}^m {{2^{a + (n - 1)d}}}=\dfrac{2^{a}(2^{md-1)})}{2^d-1}}\) SEE HERE

b) (iii) \(\displaystyle {S_\infty } = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {{2^{a + (n - 1)d}}} = - \frac{{{2^a}}}{{{2^d} - 1}}\text{ where }2^d<1\)
This does actually make sense, thank you for clarifying.

Could someone explain to me part a? I did something wrong, then I’ve corrected it, but still I want to make sure I’m right.

Attachments

• 28A2378B-B27E-4176-8D7F-D906A7227A27.jpeg
    28A2378B-B27E-4176-8D7F-D906A7227A27.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4