Point and a line

Suppose we have a line \(\displaystyle \ell:~ax+by+c=0\) and a point \(\displaystyle P:~(p,q)\)
The distance between \(\displaystyle P~\&~\ell\) is \(\displaystyle \dfrac{|ap+bq+c|}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\)

You could use pka's formula but you can also do it from scratch.

OK, so you've got a line and a point. In case you didn't know, the distance between a point and a line is defined as the perpendicular distance between them. Draw a diagram.

That should help you think about what to do. Plan your attack on the problem. Can you suggest what to do first?

You could use pka's formula but you can also do it from scratch.

OK, so you've got a line and a point. In case you didn't know, the distance between a point and a line is defined as the perpendicular distance between them. Draw a diagram.

That should help you think about what to do. Plan your attack on the problem. Can you suggest what to do first?
How about using the distance formula?

Good. Ok, but to use the distance formula you need two points. How are you going to find the other point?

A line is a line. A point is a point. You can't convert a line to a point.

But you can find a point on the line. Not just any point but the point where you measure to (ie at right angles to the line).

Draw a line (L) and a point (P) NOT on the line. Now draw a line from the point to the line and perpendicular to it. Call that point on the line Q. PQ is the distance you want to find, right?

Now, what do you know about the line L and the line joining PQ?

(If you can respond quickly that would be great and I'll respond straight back.)

The shortest distance between a point and a line (which is what is meant by "the" distance between them) is along a line perpendicular to the line. The line is given by y= 6x+ 3 so has slope 6. A line perpendicular to that has slope -1/6. The line through (6, 2) with slope -1/6 is y= (-1/6)(x- 6)+ 2 so 6y= -x+ 6+ 12 or x+ 6y= 18. Where does that line intersect y= 6x+ 3? What is the distance from that point to (6, 2)?

The shortest distance between a point and a line (which is what is meant by "the" distance between them) is along a line perpendicular to the line. The line is given by y= 6x+ 3 so has slope 6. A line perpendicular to that has slope -1/6. The line through (6, 2) with slope -1/6 is y= (-1/6)(x- 6)+ 2 so 6y= -x+ 6+ 12 or x+ 6y= 18. Where does that line intersect y= 6x+ 3? What is the distance from that point to (6, 2)?
d^2 = (0 - 6)^2 + (3-2)^2 = rt37

Yes, the foot of the perpendicular to the line Is (0, 3). Yes, the distance between (0, 3) and (6, 2), squared, is D^2= (0- 6)^2+ (3- 2)^2. But please do not write "= rt(37)"! D^2= (0- 6)^2+ (3- 2)^2= 37 and then D= square root (37).

Yes, the foot of the perpendicular to the line Is (0, 3). Yes, the distance between (0, 3) and (6, 2), squared, is D^2= (0- 6)^2+ (3- 2)^2. But please do not write "= rt(37)"! D^2= (0- 6)^2+ (3- 2)^2= 37 and then D= square root (37).
Then how do I give explanations and justification for a problem like this?

Then how do I give explanations and justification for a problem like this?
Well, just what I said in the post you quoted.
That, you state that "the foot of the perpendicular to the line is (0, 3)" and that the distance "d^2 = (0 - 6)^2 + (3-2)^2 = rt37".

My only complaint was the last "=" is wrong. d^2 is NOT equal to "rt 37". d^2 is 37 and d itself is rt 37.

Well, just what I said in the post you quoted.

That, you state that "the foot of the perpendicular to the line is (0, 3)" and that the distance "d^2 = (0 - 6)^2 + (3-2)^2 = rt37".

My only complaint was the last "=" is wrong. d^2 is NOT equal to "rt 37". d^2 is 37 and d itself is rt 37.

9)
The shortest distance between a point and a line (which is what is meant by "the" distance between them) is along a line perpendicular to the line. The line is given by y= 6x+ 3 so has slope 6. A line perpendicular to that has slope -1/6. The line through (6, 2) with slope -1/6 is y= (-1/6)(x- 6)+ 2 so 6y= -x+ 6+ 12 or x+ 6y= 18.
Use the distance formula to find the exact distance.
d^2 = (x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2
The foot of the perpendicular to the line Is (0, 3). So the distance between (0, 3) and (6, 2), squared, is D^2= (0- 6)^2+ (3- 2)^2= 37 and then D= square root (37).

How is this?

Is there another method to finding the point?
We are given the point. There is nothing to find.
The problem states: Given the point \(\displaystyle (6,2)\) and the line \(\displaystyle 6x-y=-3\) find the distance between them.

We are given the point. There is nothing to find.
The problem states: Given the point \(\displaystyle (6,2)\) and the line \(\displaystyle 6x-y=-3\) find the distance between them.
Is everything correct for my post #16?