point of intersection for parabola and hyperbola

wade21

Good day

I'm helping my nephew with his maths and came across a problem I can't seem to solve.
He has a parabola with the formula y = -3x^2 + 3 and a hyperbola y = -18/x. There is a point D where the graphs intersect and they want that point.

If anyone can help me solve this I would be grateful.
Thanks

Good day

I'm helping my nephew with his maths and came across a problem I can't seem to solve.
He has a parabola with the formula y = -3x^2 + 3 and a hyperbola y = -18/x. There is a point D where the graphs intersect and they want that point.

If anyone can help me solve this I would be grateful.
Thanks

y = -3x^2 + 3 ...................................(1)

y = -18/x .........................................(2)

replace 'y' in (1) by '(-18/x)' and continue.....

Many of us have learned, from hard experience, that attempting to communicate through a "translator" who "doesn't speak the language" generally ends badly. Very badly. It will be better if we can communicate directly with the actual student.

Since you posted this to "Pre-Algebra", clearly your nephew has not yet studied algebra. But conics (hyperbolas, parabolas, circles, and ellipses) are generally not studied until well into algebra, even pre-calculus. So clearly something non-standard is being expected of your nephew. We'll need that non-standard information.

Please have your nephew reply, specifying how his class is expected to solve systems of non-linear equations, using pre-algebra methods. For instance, is he needing instruction on how to plug things into an Excel spreadsheet or a Texas-Instruments graphing calculator?

When he replies, please have him provide a clear listing of his thoughts and efforts so far. This will help us (1) see where he's getting bogged down and (2) try to figure out what non-algebra way he's supposed to be doing this.

Thank you! ;)