Poisson Distribution: One event happens once every 29 seconds on average, and another event happens once every 396 seconds on average.

Juuungle

Hi there,

I'm trying to calculate the probability of two events occurring simultaneously within a one-hour period, but confusing myself trying to apply the Poisson distribution. My problem is this:

One event happens once every 29 seconds on average, and another event happens once every 396 seconds on average. Using the Poisson distribution, how many times would these events occur simultaneously within a one-hour period?

Would anyone please be able to help calculate this?

Thx :)

Hi there,

I'm trying to calculate the probability of two events occurring simultaneously within a one-hour period, but confusing myself trying to apply the Poisson distribution. My problem is this:

One event happens once every 29 seconds on average, and another event happens once every 396 seconds on average. Using the Poisson distribution, how many times would these events occur simultaneously within a one-hour period?

Would anyone please be able to help calculate this?

Thx :)

If [imath]X[/imath] and [imath]Y[/imath] are independent Poisson distributed with parameters [imath]\lambda_1 ,\, \lambda_2[/imath] then [imath]X=Y \implies X-Y=0[/imath] follows a Skellam distribution.