Polynomial Function

shawie

Directions: State whether the function is a polynomial funtion. Give the zeros of each function, if they exist.

dsa9rj.jpg

I know that it's a polynomial function because there are no fractions in the equation but i don't know how we get that answer when giving the zeros of the function. Help please? :roll:

Apply the Quadratic Formula.

Eliz.

so... a would be "p" b would be "q" and c would "r" ?

ohh... ok, i get it now.

Do you think you could post a larger picture? Kowabunga! Please work on some miniaturization.

tkhunny said:
Do you think you could post a larger picture? Kowabunga! Please work on some miniaturization.

sorry about that...

alright i need help on the same topic.

FIND THE VALUES OF THE FUNCTION

h(x)=2x^2-5x+6

a. h(-1)

I know that I have to plug it in...

h(-1)=2(-1)^2-5(-2)+6

but i don't know what to do after that... the answer is supposed to be 13 but I don't know how to get there. help please?

Please post new questions as new threads, not as replies to old questions, where they are frequently overlooked. Thank you.

By the way, all you need to do at this point is simplify. What is the square of -1? What do you get when you multiply that by 2? What is -5 times -2? What do you get when you add this and 6 to the previous result?

Eliz.

stapel said:
Please post new questions as new threads, not as replies to old questions, where they are frequently overlooked. Thank you.

By the way, all you need to do at this point is simplify. What is the square of -1? What do you get when you multiply that by 2? What is -5 times -2? What do you get when you add this and 6 to the previous result?

Eliz.

alright, sorry... i thought that i'd save space by putting this in the same thread, but i'll remember to do what you said in the future.

alright... so the square of -1 is 1. 1 times 2 is 2. -5 time -2 equals 10.
2+10+6= 18?

Then, assuming the function was posted correctly, it looks like the book has a typo.

Eliz.

really? hm... well i absolutely don't know what i'm supposed to do for part b

h(x)=2x^2-5x+6

h(2i)

so it's h(2i)=2(2i)^2-5x+6

i don't know how to solve :(

Shouldn't the "2i" be plugged in for every instance of "x"? You've only plugged into one of the x's. Meanwhile, I'm not sure what you think you're supposed to be "solving" for; this is a "evaluation" problem, I think.

Eliz.

shawie said:
but the book says that the answer is supposed to be 13?
It is 13 - you made a mistake substituting -1 in 5x:
-5(-1) = 5

where did you get 2 from?