Polynomial Multiplication Problem

Acewing

Hello, I'm currently studying for a math placement exam that I shall take at either the end of the month or during the starting week of March. The questions will be similar to the APTP (Advanced Mathematics Placement Test), ergo, I have been studying the sample problems they have online in preparation for the advanced exam.

I have been going through the topics that will be on the test, but there are still some things I'm uncertain of, such as the following problem:

If x 2 and (x + 2)2 (x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P, then P =

I have absolutely no idea what the "If x 2" means, but the rest of the equation - (x +2)2 (x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P, at least "looks" to be solvable with Polynomial Multiplication; the FOIL method specifically. (I could be entirely wrong).

My current progress has been -

(x +2)2 (x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P

(x2 + 4)(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P

x3 - 1x2 + 4x - 4 + 3 * x2 - 1x + 2x - 2 = (x + 2)P

There are three uncertainties I'm faced with at this point -

1. Do I apply the exponential in (x +2)2 first, before FOILing?

2. 3(x + 2)(x - 1) - Do I multiply the 3 across, before FOILing?

3. I am very certain that I could be reasoning this entire problem improperly, and there are a few operations I'm missing (though I'm unsure of which ones).

It looks like a binomial problem, but I'm not sure if it is solved as one. The If x 2, and (x + 2)P are drawing blanks with me as well.

PS - I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section, or if my formatting of the problem is inadequate/incorrect, so please feel free to let me know or move this thread if it isn't within guidelines.

And thank you for reading up to this point, I really appreciate it!

x 2 means x is not equal to 2...I also can't see why that condition is specified...
(x + 2)P means P times (x + 2).

(x + 2)2 (x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P

Remember that(x + 2)2 = (x + 2)(x + 2); start by "taking out" (x + 2) on left side :
(x + 2)[(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1)] = (x + 2)P
Now, divide each side by (x + 2):
(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1)] = P
...and you're finished!
You could simplify left side a bit, but you're not asked to...

For fun, let's substitute x = 2 :
(2 + 2)(2 - 1) + 3(2 - 1) = P
4(1) + 3(1) = P
7 = P

So again, no idea why x can't equal 2...

Are you SURE there is no typo in the equation?

First, I'd like to thank you for your response, thank you very much for taking the time to help me out! I also have a few other questions concerning this problem:

1. (x + 2)2 = (x + 2)(x + 2) <-- EDIT - Nevermind, just found it while looking over the basics of exponents.

2. When I said I did not understand what x 2 and (x + 2)P meant, I was referring too the fact that I know what they signify, but I did not know what they meant within the context of that equation.

3. So the equation would be:

(x + 2)(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P

(x + 2)/(x + 2)(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)/(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)/(x + 2)P

(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P

Is that about right?

4. Since the exam will be in a multiple choice format: each sample problem has three possible choices, (these are for that specific equation) -

a. (x - 1)(x + 2)
b. (x - 1)(x + 5)
c. (x - 1)2

So, I still can't seem to comprehend how any of those three answers fit into the result, even when I simplify (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P. I personally get this as the final simplified form -

(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3x - 3 = P

x2 - 1x + 2x - 2 + 3x - 3 = P

x2 + 4x - 3 = P

OR

(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3/3(x - 1) = P/3

(x + 2)(x - 1) + (x - 1) = P/3

I realize I'm using the FOIL method in the first instance, but I can't see anything other than two binomials + that 3x - 3, but I realize that it's wrong, especially if I were to compare it to the list of available answers. The alternative equation also leads me nowhere, as I don't know how to progress past that point (assuming it's even on the right track).

6. I have no idea why they even have x 2, I just copied it exactly as it was written, whether it's an error on their part or not, I do not know.

PS - I was also wondering if you (or anyone else reading this) may offer some helpful supplement/topics that I could research into, to solve this type of equation: if there's possibly a place where they can generate similar equations with a pseudo-walkthrough should I improperly calculate something. I will also most likely be inquiring about other questions as well. I seem to be able to understand the principles behind things like Basic Algebraic Operations, but when I look at the sample questions that "seem" to be related to that topic, I just completely blank out.

Thanks again for the continued assistance and for bearing with my ineptitude!

Last edited:
Are you sure, it did not say:

X \(\displaystyle \ne\) -2

First, I'd like to thank you for your response, thank you very much for taking the time to help me out! I also have a few other questions concerning this problem:

1. (x + 2)2 = (x + 2)(x + 2) <-- EDIT - Nevermind, just found it while looking over the basics of exponents.

2. When I said I did not understand what x 2 and (x + 2)P meant, I was referring too the fact that I know what they signify, but I did not know what they meant within the context of that equation.

3. So the equation would be:

(x + 2)(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P

(x + 2)/(x + 2)(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)/(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)/(x + 2)P

Is that about right?

4. Since the exam will be in a multiple choice format: each sample problem has three possible choices, (these are for that specific equation) -

a. (x - 1)(x + 2)
b. (x - 1)(x + 5)
c. (x - 1)2

So, I still can't seem to comprehend how any of those three answers fit into the result, even when I simplify (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P. I personally get this as the final simplified form -

(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3x - 3 = P

x2 - 1x + 2x - 2 + 3x - 3 = P

x2 + 4x - 3 = P This is in error. You forgot the -2.

OR

(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3/3(x - 1) = P/3

(x + 2)(x - 1) + (x - 1) = P/3

I realize I'm using the FOIL method in the first instance, but I can't see anything other than two binomials + that 3x - 3, but I realize that it's wrong, especially if I were to compare it to the list of available answers. The alternative equation also leads me nowhere, as I don't know how to progress past that point (assuming it's even on the right track).

6. I have no idea why they even have x 2, I just copied it exactly as it was written, whether it's an error on their part or not, I do not know.

PS - I was also wondering if you (or anyone else reading this) may offer some helpful supplement/topics that I could research into, to solve this type of equation: if there's possibly a place where they can generate similar equations with a pseudo-walkthrough should I improperly calculate something. I will also most likely be inquiring about other questions as well. I seem to be able to understand the principles behind things like Basic Algebraic Operations, but when I look at the sample questions that "seem" to be related to that topic, I just completely blank out.

Thanks again for the continued assistance and for bearing with my ineptitude!
Stop disparaging yourself. Also don't worry about a placement test. The last thing in the world you want to do is to over-achieve on a placement test and get assigned to a course for which you are not prepared. Being in such a course is a miserable experience that will probably result in a poor grade and perhaps even failure. It's better to take a course that is mostly review and build your confidence than to struggle in panic to get a lousy grade.

I am concerned that you may have copied the problem incorrectly or that the problem is printed incorrectly. I am going to cover some ground that mon ami denis has already covered. In his first post, you notice that he divided both sides of the equation by (x + 2) at one point. That is an entirely legitimate operation unless x = - 2 because then you are dividing by 0, which is not permitted. So the question would make sense if the condition imposed was

\(\displaystyle x \ne -\ 2.\)

Now let's follow the solution

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)^2(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P\ and\ x \ne - 2 \implies \dfrac{(x + 2)^2(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1)}{x + 2} = \dfrac{(x + 2)P}{x + 2} \implies\)

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P.\) This answer, WHICH YOU GOT, is correct as far as it goes, but you then simplified it incorrectly.

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P \implies (x - 1)\{(x + 2) + 3\} = P \implies\)

\(\displaystyle P = (x - 1)(x + 5).\) And that is one of the answers given. And even that can be simplified

\(\displaystyle P = (x - 1)(x + 5) \implies P = x^2 + 4x - 5.\)

EDIT: I see Subhotosh Khan beat me to it in wondering if the condition should be \(\displaystyle x = - 2.\) He's too quick for me.

Last edited:
When I said I did not understand what x 2 and (x + 2)P meant, I was referring [to] the fact that I know what they signify…

Ah, but that's not what you wrote. ;)

x 2 is a typographical error, on that APTP page. It is supposed to read x -2.

When x equals -2, the given equation becomes 0 = 0P

In other words, P can be anything, when x is -2

Cheers :cool:

Are you sure, it did not say:

X \(\displaystyle \ne\) -2

Well, like I said: I'm unsure. I haven't done math in over 3 years, so more of the deeper meaning or other nuances (that should be common sense at this point, if I had drilled harder in high school) are lost to me. Whether it should have been that or "+2" would of still equated to me not understanding what it would infer.

Stop disparaging yourself. Also don't worry about a placement test. The last thing in the world you want to do is to over-achieve on a placement test and get assigned to a course for which you are not prepared. Being in such a course is a miserable experience that will probably result in a poor grade and perhaps even failure. It's better to take a course that is mostly review and build your confidence than to struggle in panic to get a lousy grade.

I am concerned that you may have copied the problem incorrectly or that the problem is printed incorrectly. I am going to cover some ground that mon ami denis has already covered. In his first post, you notice that he divided both sides of the equation by (x + 2) at one point. That is an entirely legitimate operation unless x = - 2 because then you are dividing by 0, which is not permitted. So the question would make sense if the condition imposed was

\(\displaystyle x \ne -\ 2.\)

Now let's follow the solution

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)^2(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1) = (x + 2)P\ and\ x \ne - 2 \implies \dfrac{(x + 2)^2(x - 1) + 3(x + 2)(x - 1)}{x + 2} = \dfrac{(x + 2)P}{x + 2} \implies\)

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P.\) This answer, WHICH YOU GOT, is correct as far as it goes, but you then simplified it incorrectly.

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P \implies (x - 1)\{(x + 2) + 3\} = P \implies\)

\(\displaystyle P = (x - 1)(x + 5).\) And that is one of the answers given. And even that can be simplified

\(\displaystyle P = (x - 1)(x + 5) \implies P = x^2 + 4x - 5.\)

EDIT: I see Subhotosh Khan beat me to it in wondering if the condition should be \(\displaystyle x = - 2.\) He's too quick for me.

Hmm, about that, this placement is to allow me to take a course which is required for a major I'm interested in (the course I imagine is mandatory), and I didn't know universities placed you in higher courses if you did better on placement exams?

I was also curious as to an alternative solution, since (x - 1)\{(x + 2) + 3\} = P looks quite foreign to me, but after some outside help on the matter, while I was waiting for an answer here, I was told that this was basically a function of distributive property, since ab + cb = (a + c)*b (which I was completely unaware of). My alternative method, which I believe is also adequate; just a bit more work:

I would simply divide out the (x - 1) to the outside, just as I removed the (x + 2) earlier, which would leave me with (x + 2) + 3 = P/(x - 1), then I would re-introduce it back into the equation by multiplying to get the P by itself again: (x - 1)(x + 2) + 3 = P, and finally add the 2 + 3 to get (x - 1)(x + 5). Would that be an alternative/valid way of doing things?

Notice (x - 1) in each term on left; factor it out:
P = (x - 1)[(x + 2) + 3] ; simplify:
P = (x - 1)(x + 2 + 3)
P = (x - 1)(x + 5)

Don't commit suicide...you're doing fine...:rolleyes:

I never considered rearranging the result into something more manageable, I was given a tip by some friends that resulted in that solution, which they told me was just rearranging things. I spent about an hour+ talking with them on how that worked, and it seems I'm still missing some groundwork in my basic understanding, as I (once again) never considered rearranging them based on the distributive property, since -

(x - 1) = a
(x + 2) = b
3 = cThis would be translated into - (a)(b) + c(b) = P. And the (a + c)*b portion would equate to - P = (x - 1)[(x + 2) + 3]

Of course, I still feel a tad shook up when that came out to be the case (assuming it is the case), because I couldn't wrap my head around where this came from, so that's when I wondered if I could just factor out the (x - 1) just as I did with the (x + 2)P, and was told that such a method still lead to the same result; it just added some extra work into the mix, but I understood it far better that way, than this way.

Thanks once again for all the helpful responses! I was also wondering what type of equation that sample problem was, since it introduced some elements that I'm still very unfamiliar with (or am familiar with, but no math for 3 years = lost somewhere in my cranium);

1. (x + 2)^2 =
(x + 2)(x + 2), which I shortly learned after posting the original thread was taught in exponents (which I will be covering today, along with Roots).

2. Dividing out both sides to get P by itself. Although it sounds obvious, I had only gone through basic algebraic operations to refresh myself, and polynomials. The reason why I attempted this specific problem was because it "looked" similar to what I was going over, so I decided to try it out. When Denis originally helped me along, it also never occurred to me that the first thing to do was isolate the P, although, looking back on it now, that was the OBVIOUS thing to do, but seeing the x cannot = 2 had me preoccupied, (when in reality, it really shouldn't have, since it had no bearing on the process).

3. Distributive property - Rearranging the simplified solution to simplify it further. That was the biggest hurdle for me. Even though I had people here and elsewhere assisting me with the next step of (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P, my mind couldn't understand "how" it reached that stage, and I still have some doubts about it, which is why (if it's correct) I prefer that alternative method, since I understand what's happening, rather than feel like it was some magic trick (which it clearly isn't, but it's synonymous with how I feel it was done).

4. "x 2 is a typographical error, on that APTP page. It is supposed to read x -2." (Quoted from Quaid). I believe in the end, that is the most puzzling thing to me. If it was an error, then how would the correct number factor into the equation?

Ah, but that's not what you wrote. :wink:

x 2 is a typographical error, on that APTP page. It is supposed to read x -2.

When x equals -2, the given equation becomes 0 = 0P

In other words, P can be anything, when x is -2

^ I don't entirely understand this statement. If x = -2, then the equation becomes 0? I learned in Absolute Values that x could never be a negative or less than a negative, does that rule also apply here, and is it the same principles governing that rule, or is it applied by another principle?

Afterword -

I'll be looking into Polynomial Division at the start of today (when I wake up), and continue onto Exponent/Roots later in the day. Thank you again, everyone for all the help, and I hope I won't have to return and bother you all again, but if I do, I ask that you please bear with me! I'm sure you don't believe that I'm as inept as I say, but lacking math for 3 years, then having to take an advanced placement exam for a university all of a sudden was jarring to me, and it still is, as even this problem had concepts that I don't consciously "know", but sub-consciously "do know", I just haven't gotten to Exponents yet (until today), so I think I'm at least slightly entitled to say that I'm a bit slow on the "up-take" as it were.

^ I don't entirely understand this statement.

You quoted five statements! Which of those five statements is "this statement"? (Please be complete, when discussing mathematics.)

If x = -2, then the equation becomes 0?

Nope. All equations contain an equals sign. 0 is not an equation, so the given equation cannot become 0. Any time we make a change to an equation, we end up with another equation.

When x = -2, the equation becomes 0 = 0P. This is the same as 0 = 0 because 0P is just 0.

(If you don't see why the equation becomes 0 = 0P, replace all of the x's with -2, followed by doing the arithmetic.)

The reason why this exercise stipulates the condition that variable x never represents the number -2 is so that there is only one possible answer to the exercise.

If x were allowed to represent -2, then P could have any value, and this would lead to an infinite number of solutions. They do not want an infinite number of solutions. They want an exercise with only one solution.

I learned in Absolute Values that x could never be a negative or less than a negative.

That is not correct.

Maybe you're thinking that the expression |x| can never represent a negative value. (That's true.)

Also, any number that lies to the left of a negative number must also be negative. (Remember the Real number line? Numbers get smaller as we move from right to left.)

In other words, any number that lies to the left of some specific negative number is obviously less than that specific number, so it's redundant to add "or less than a negative" above.

If you're thinking of something else, please rephrase your statement.

does that [absolute value] rule also apply here

No. There are no absolute value symbols, in the given equation. You do not need to consider the topic of absolute value, in order to understand the given exercise.

I do not know what "advanced math" course you're planning on taking, but, based on what I've seen you post thus far, I would suggest that you start with prealgebra, beginning algebra, and intermediate algebra (in that order), before taking any advanced courses.

If you need only to refresh your memory, you could do self-review of these three courses, using free web site lessons and videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, about that, this placement is to allow me to take a course which is required for a major I'm interested in (the course I imagine is mandatory), and I didn't know universities placed you in higher courses if you did better on placement exams?
Universities will not use a placement exam to make you take a course that is not explicitly mandatory for your major, but they may use it to suggest or require that you take a preliminary course before you take a mandatory one. You may say that you want to avoid wasting time by taking a course that is not required just to prepare you adequately for a mandatory one. But if you flunk your mandatory course, you will certainly waste time. Furthermore, if you pass it with a C minus, that will not do your grade point average any good or make you look good to a future employer. The purpose of a placement exam is to make sure that you are given adequate preparation so that you have the tools to do well.

I was also curious as to an alternative solution, since (x - 1)\{(x + 2) + 3\} = P looks quite foreign to me, but after some outside help on the matter, while I was waiting for an answer here, I was told that this was basically a function of distributive property, since ab + cb = (a + c)*b (which I was completely unaware of). My alternative method, which I believe is also adequate; just a bit more work:

I would simply divide out the (x - 1) to the outside, just as I removed the (x + 2) earlier, which would leave me with (x + 2) + 3 = P/(x - 1), then I would re-introduce it back into the equation by multiplying to get the P by itself again: (x - 1)(x + 2) + 3 = P, and finally add the 2 + 3 to get (x - 1)(x + 5). Would that be an alternative/valid way of doing things?
It is not quite valid.

You can't divide by zero so your proposal can't work if x = 1, which means that you would have to try a different method to deal with the special case of x = 1. Moreover, you have added an unnecessary step, and every unnecessary step is a source of potential error (even for a computer).

Your method is this:

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P \implies \dfrac{(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1)}{x - 1} = \dfrac{P}{x - 1} \implies x + 2 + 3 = \dfrac{P}{x - 1}.\) This is not valid if x = 1.

Ignoring that technical flaw, you go

\(\displaystyle x + 2 + 3 = \dfrac{P}{x - 1} \implies x + 5 = \dfrac{P}{x - 1} \implies P = (x - 1)(x + 5).\)

But that is exactly what I got by using the distributive law without a technical flaw or nearly as much work.

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P \implies (x - 1)(x + 2 + 3) = P \implies P = (x - 1)(x + 5).\)

If you are unfamiliar with or uncomfortable with the distributive law, you need either an intensive review or a remedial course. (I like Khan Academy for review.) I do not say this to be mean. I say this because what you are viewing as nuances are fundamental tools that you will be expected to know and to use readily in any course beyond basic algebra.

Last edited:
Universities will not use a placement exam to make you take a course that is not explicitly mandatory for your major, but they may use it to suggest or require that you take a preliminary course before you take a mandatory one. You may say that you want to avoid wasting time by taking a course that is not required just to prepare you adequately for a mandatory one. But if you flunk your mandatory course, you will certainly waste time. Furthermore, if you pass it with a C minus, that will not do your grade point average any good or make you look good to a future employer. The purpose of a placement exam is to make sure that you are given adequate preparation so that you have the tools to do well.

I see, then what would you suggest? Part of the outline for qualifying and "announcing" the major requires a math course, which requires an adequate score in the advanced placement exam, is there a way I can find an alternative to satisfy that requirement or get an override or skip it all-together? (Generally speaking).

It is not quite valid.

You can't divide by zero so your proposal can't work if x = 1, which means that you would have to try a different method to deal with the special case of x = 1. Moreover, you have added an unnecessary step, and every unnecessary step is a source of potential error (even for a computer).

Your method is this:

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P \implies \dfrac{(x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1)}{x - 1} = \dfrac{P}{x - 1} \implies x + 2 + 3 = \dfrac{P}{x - 1}.\) This is not valid if x = 1.

Ignoring that technical flaw, you go

\(\displaystyle x + 2 + 3 = \dfrac{P}{x - 1} \implies x + 5 = \dfrac{P}{x - 1} \implies P = (x - 1)(x + 5).\)

But that is exactly what I got by using the distributive law without a technical flaw or nearly as much work.

\(\displaystyle (x + 2)(x - 1) + 3(x - 1) = P \implies (x - 1)(x + 2 + 3) = P \implies P = (x - 1)(x + 5).\)

If you are unfamiliar with or uncomfortable with the distributive law, you need either an intensive review or a remedial course. (I like Khan Academy for review.) I do not say this to be mean. I say this because what you are viewing as nuances are fundamental tools that you will be expected to know and to use readily in any course beyond basic algebra.

Thank you for the response. Went to Khan Academy right after I read your post. As for the use of the distributive property, after reading through the thread and speaking with a few others, I believe I've started comprehending just how important it is and that it isn't really that difficult to do, rather, it's an understanding that as long as it can be rearranged into ab + ac, then it can be changed into (a + c)b, to help break things down.

Honestly, these past few days have been continuously reinforcing me about the law/properties and how essential they are in more advanced math topics, so I have become a bit more mindful of their uses.

Thank you again for helping me along, and I don't find your reply to be mean in the slightest!

I see, then what would you suggest? Part of the outline for qualifying and "announcing" the major requires a math course, which requires an adequate score in the advanced placement exam, is there a way I can find an alternative to satisfy that requirement or get an override or skip it all-together? (Generally speaking).
There is absolutely no way for me to answer that. A lot depends on what your university requires for your major. It's important to remember that you have eight semesters: you do not have to cram everything into the first two. I was a history major so I certainly am not going to advise you to take 50% of your courses in math unless you want to be a mathematician. But I never found that I had taken too much math although it would have been more useful for me to have studied linear algebra than abstract algebra. You may be able to pass a beginning course in microeconomics without differential calculus, but it will be much easier to get a good grade in even beginning economics if you understand differential calculus. You probably need to talk to someone in the department responsible for your major about what math they consider MINIMALLY advisable. Personally, I think the modern world requires an educated person to know algebra, calculus, and some statistics. A physical scientist would probably add at least differential equations and linear algebra, and a mathematician would likely consider this to be only basic knowledge.

Went to Khan Academy right after I read your post.
I like Khan Academy a lot, but its weakness is that although it explains concepts very intuitively and clearly, it does not provide practice. For most people at least, the only way to make sure that you fully understand a mathematical concept is to apply it repetitively.

Last edited:

Thank you for the response. Went to Khan Academy right after I read your post. As for the use of the distributive property, after reading through the thread and speaking with a few others, I believe I've started comprehending just how important it is and that it isn't really that difficult to do, rather, it's an understanding that as long as it can be rearranged into ab + ac, then it can be changed into (a + c)b, INTO a(b + c) or (b + c)a to help break things down.

Honestly, these past few days have been continuously reinforcing me about the law/properties and how essential they are in more advanced math topics, so I have become a bit more mindful of their uses.

Thank you again for helping me along, and I don't find your reply to be mean in the slightest!
See interjection in blue above.

Hey Acewing:

I'm adding a comment about Jeff's interjection in blue because I don't want you to misinterpret it.

He did not add that to provide an example of the Commutative Property of Multiplication (i.e., two values may be multiplied in either order). He's pointing out an error in what you wrote.

ab + ac does not factor as (a + c)b

(Typo on your part, perhaps?)