polynomials: why must polynomials be ordered by degree in order to properly divide by

SusanCoutu

Miscellaneous math question, but why must polynomials be ordered by degree in order to properly divide them by a binomial? I notice arrangement is not a requirement of first degree equations. I can accept this prima facie, however I'd still like to know the specifics and proof as to why this is the case.

Thanks for all of your help!

Miscellaneous math question, but why must polynomials be ordered by degree in order to properly divide them by a binomial? I notice arrangement is not a requirement of first degree equations. I can accept this prima facie, however I'd still like to know the specifics and proof as to why this is the case.

Thanks for all of your help!

It has nothing to do with division. It is a matter of convenience, convention, and natural order.

What does this number mean? 1084? You probably don't know, but it means eight thousand fourteen. I just put the digits it in a different order - tens, hundreds, thousands, ones.

Assuming you are specifically asking about writing each polynomial in descending order before carrying out long division of polynomials, rather than just the convention for writing a polynomial outside of a specific context, I'd say it is just because the long division algorithm wouldn't work otherwise (or at least it would be much harder) unless both divisor and dividend are in descending order. So it's more or less necessary for division, but only preferred when you are merely writing a polynomial.

But first degree equations are an entirely different context from division of polynomial expressions. (I'm not sure whether you are paying attention to the difference between those words.) This makes me think you aren't primarily asking about division, but about writing expressions (or equations?) generally. In that case, the better question might be why we don't always bother following the descending order convention for linear expressions, while we do so more consistently with higher-degree polynomials. I'd say that is because with only two terms, most things we do with them aren't hard anyway, and any way we write it will be in either ascending or descending order, which is not true for more terms. Most things we do with more than two terms (factoring, solving equations, ...) are easier in order.