pound sign in old posts (need fixed for when copying forums)

glueball said:
I am looking at some pre-2008 posts and see British pound signs before equations....

Any idea where these are coming from? Any possibility of making them go away?
A recent update of the forum script required some tweaking of the LaTeX "plug-in". As a result, some commands are processed differently. In this case, you're seeing the result of the previous coding which forced the LaTeX to be "large": \L. In the current set-up, this notation is not needed.

I have a feeling that the only way to "fix" this would be to go through all of the old posts and hand-correct them. :shock:

Eliz.

Re: pound sign in old posts

The trouble with the \(\displaystyle \L\) is that it gets embedded in the image files for the equations and becomes difficult to remove.

BTW, I did figure out how to fix (in a local copy of the post) the munged <sub>'s and <sup>'s in some of the old posts.

glueball said:
I am trying to make a repository of old posts involving calculus homework problems...
On what sort of project are you and the owner of this site collaborating? :?:

glueball said:
The trouble with the \(\displaystyle \L\) is that it gets embedded in the image files for the equations and becomes difficult to remove.
Well, I doubt any of the volunteers (and certainly not the owner, being a student busy in his studies) will be investing the many days necessary to "clean this up" for you. I'm afraid you're on your own for this part of your project! :shock:

glueball said:
I did figure out how to fix (in my local copy of the post) the munged <sub>'s and <sup>'s in some of the old posts.
Those tags weren't "munged"; they were the old-style tags that worked in the previous edition of the forum script. :!:

Eliz.