Practical question

Darya

Should I learn about matrices before the basics of Calculus?

Should I learn about matrices before the basics of Calculus?
Matrices are not prerequisite for beginning calculus.

However, as you advance through mathematics, knowledge of matrices (and manipulation of matrices) will be invaluable!

Some teachers introduce matrices in Algebra 2 in order for the student to be experienced with them by Calulus.

Matrices aren't that hard to work with; so if you have access to the resources to learn them, they're quite useful.

Matrix theory can actually be quite advanced. Some might say even hard. Having said that, what Subhotosh stated is the perfect answer to your question.

Plus, the second definition was meant to be a compliment:

2. using or characterized by systematic reasoning

Yes--I know. You argue with me because I am wrong. I apologize for my incorrect answers or methods.
I will be polite and just request that you try your very best to only answering questions which you are confident with.

I will be polite and just request that you try your very best to only answering questions which you are confident with.
That was very polite indeed.

The problem being that I foresee the method that I use getting a label of "incorrect" by the professors when there is a better way to find the answer.
I in no way suggest that my way is the best, or even the easiest. I just want multiple methods to be there for the student (assuming, of course, that my alternate method is correct.....!).

I for one encourage letting students see different methods so that they can learn that there are in fact different methods and that they can use the method which they like (which might be a combination of what they saw or even a totally different one). In a classroom setting you do have a finite time with your class so trying multiply methods is not always a good idea as you might do just one problems five different ways instead of 5 different problems using one method during a given lecture. I quickly learned that students say 'you are confusing me' if you show multiply ways of doing a problem. In the end, I encourage my students to use the method they like but only show them one method. I hate doing that but it is what it is.

I for one encourage letting students see different methods so that they can learn that there are in fact different methods and that they can use the method which they like (which might be a combination of what they saw or even a totally different one). In a classroom setting you do have a finite time with your class so trying multiply methods is not always a good idea as you might do just one problems five different ways instead of 5 different problems using one method during a given lecture. I quickly learned that students say 'you are confusing me' if you show multiply ways of doing a problem. In the end, I encourage my students to use the method they like but only show them one method. I hate doing that but it is what it is.
"You are confusing me," says the student.

And I say "No, you are confusing yourself because you did not study."