Pre-Calculus 12 - Geometric Series and Sequences Test Problem

TreShawnDeandre

I recently did a test on which I got a certain question marked wrong, which I feel was poorly written. When I read this question I interpreted it differently than intended and came to a different answer, my argument is that this way of interpreting is also right, and my math was correct, so I should be given the marks back, as it isn't my fault the question is unclear. the question is as follows (exact wording).

"A Robotic frog is programmed to make a sequence of jumps, each jump 1/5 the length of the preceding one. a frog is programmed to jump to a position 38 m away in 10 jumps. Determine the horizontal distance of the first 3 jumps."

When I read this question I thought of it as a convergent sequence, the frog would jump towards 0 and after 10 jumps, it would be 38 m away.
I found that when 38=x(1/5)10-1 (x being where the frog was at t=1). that x is equal to 74218750. plugging this back into the formula I found the frog went from 74218750 m to 1483750 m, to 2968750 m, to 593750 m, and after 10 jumps would be at 38 m. using the distances, I found the length of each jump, 59375000 m, then 11875000 m, then 2375000, all of these being 1/5 the distance of the previous jump. I believe all of my math is correct, but the problem is my teacher doesn't understand how the question could be interpreted differently. I feel as though the question did not explain the frog was moving away from the start point, it only said 38 meters away, but not from what. If someone was to ask me this question directly in person, I would think they meant 38 meters away from them/us, so I took it to mean the frog is coming closer and closer, until it is 38 m away, as was stated in the question. If the question said 38 m from where it started or something along those lines it would make sense to be interpreted only 1 way, but it's not. So I believe my answer fills all the criteria? each jump is 1/5 the distance of the last, and after 10 jumps, it is 38 m away? There is one other teacher I can go to but I want to see if others agree with me first, or if there is some blaring issue with my answer, thank you, and my apologies if this is more of an English question than a math question.

It's pretty obvious to me that it jumps from an initial position to one 38m away. So, the sum of 10 jumps is 38m. The first jump can't be "from 74218750 m to 1483750 m" - that's quite a bit more than 38m. I think you are assuming that the last jump is 38m. I doubt very much that this is what the problem statement means.

I agree that the problem statement could be more clear. It should say "...makes a series of jumps IN THE SAME DIRECTION." After that, it doesn't matter where the 38 m starts or stops. It's just 38 m. I suppose it may also be more clear to say "...38 m from it's present location." It is very hard to write a perfect question. Your interpretation has no solution.

"Convergent"? Maybe. Do you count "Finite" as "Convergent". That's fine, but you should consider the difference.

H = Distance of first hop.

v = 1/5 = 0.2 -- Proportional hop decrease factor.

10 hops

[math]H + Hv + Hv^{2} + ... + Hv^{9} = 38[/math]
[math]H(1 + v + v^{2} + ... + v^{9}) = 38[/math]
[math]H\dfrac{1-v^{10}}{v} = 38[/math]
What do you get from that for H?

It only said 38 meters away--of course from the starting point/ Why would you think it only said 38 meters away from 0? Seriously why not 38 meters away from 6 or 3.5?
Maybe the problem could have been clearer but to assume 0 is not a good assumption.
I would speak to your teacher very nicely about this and explain that there is two parts to a word problem--one part is understanding it (which I think you did not) and another part is the work and that you work should be graded for the work you did with your understanding. Please note that if your work is perfect I am not saying you deserve full credit since you did not understand the question correctly. Alternatively your teacher can give you a similar question and let you work it out now that you understand the question. Again I would not expect full credit. If your teacher does not agree with what I am saying then I feel that is unfair. Give this a try and good luck.

I recently did a test on which I got a certain question marked wrong, which I feel was poorly written. When I read this question I interpreted it differently than intended and came to a different answer, my argument is that this way of interpreting is also right, and my math was correct, so I should be given the marks back, as it isn't my fault the question is unclear. the question is as follows (exact wording).

"A Robotic frog is programmed to make a sequence of jumps, each jump 1/5 the length of the preceding one. a frog is programmed to jump to a position 38 m away in 10 jumps. Determine the horizontal distance of the first 3 jumps."

When I read this question I thought of it as a convergent sequence, the frog would jump towards 0 and after 10 jumps, it would be 38 m away.
I found that when 38=x(1/5)10-1 (x being where the frog was at t=1). that x is equal to 74218750. plugging this back into the formula I found the frog went from 74218750 m to 1483750 m, to 2968750 m, to 593750 m, and after 10 jumps would be at 38 m. using the distances, I found the length of each jump, 59375000 m, then 11875000 m, then 2375000, all of these being 1/5 the distance of the previous jump. I believe all of my math is correct, but the problem is my teacher doesn't understand how the question could be interpreted differently. I feel as though the question did not explain the frog was moving away from the start point, it only said 38 meters away, but not from what. If someone was to ask me this question directly in person, I would think they meant 38 meters away from them/us, so I took it to mean the frog is coming closer and closer, until it is 38 m away, as was stated in the question. If the question said 38 m from where it started or something along those lines it would make sense to be interpreted only 1 way, but it's not. So I believe my answer fills all the criteria? each jump is 1/5 the distance of the last, and after 10 jumps, it is 38 m away? There is one other teacher I can go to but I want to see if others agree with me first, or if there is some blaring issue with my answer, thank you, and my apologies if this is more of an English question than a math question.
Do you realize that you are claiming that the frog cleared ~60,000 km with first jump!!

You should have known - that is beyond impossible.

Do you realize that you are claiming that the frog cleared ~60,000 km with first jump!!

You should have known - that is beyond impossible.
Mean, Approximate Circumference of Earth: 40,075 km -- That is quite a jump.