Prevention of Depression in At-Risk Adolescents A Randomized Controlled Trial

Blueberry

[h=1]http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/184014[/h]
Hello there! I am having a super hard time with this one. I have been writing my essay for at least 5 hours now. I have found out, with this, that The independent variable would be depressed adolescents (depression) that have depressed parents. The dependent variable would be the outcome of the prevention program on the depressed adolescents. Other variables include age, gender, race/ethnicity, and inclusion criteria. This study concluded that adolescents who receive CBT compared to non CBT are significantly less likely to experience depression.

What Is the sampling procedure? Is it simple random or stratified?

Is the research design quasi-experimental of a true research design?

I have been up so long. I am writing a huge essay about this.:(:confused:

Test subjects are not variables.

If your dependent variable is "outcome", your independent variable must be whatever you theorize has caused the outcome. "Treatment"
maybe?

Test subjects are not variables.

If your dependent variable is "outcome", your independent variable must be whatever you theorize has caused the outcome. "Treatment"
maybe?
So dependent variable is treatment and independent variable would be at risk adolescents for depression?
I know this is kind of a tough question.

I am still trying to figure out if it is quasi-experimental. This is a lot of research and the science of that. I don't think anybody here quite would understand it. But I thought I would at least try.

It is more research methodology

Yup...pretty much that and less numbers so not much crunching here

"that adolescents who receive CBT compared to non CBT are significantly less likely to experience depression."

The observed, dependent outcome is depression (either "yes or no" or some meaningful scale). Not "risk". If you have different risk and different outcomes, what have you shown? If you have similar risk (depressed parents), then you can tell if your treatment is useful in decreasing INCIDENCE. You have selected a particular type of risk to test your theory. The risk is neither treatment nor outcome.

Be very careful with words. You can see this all the time in auto insurance commercials. They select words that are deliberately misleading. You've heard them, "Switch to _______ Insurance company and you could save and average of $447." Balderdash! Sometimes it's "Drivers who switched save an average of $400." What they are NOT saying is that some didn't switch because they got a better rate somewhere else. What they are not saying is that some didn't switch, even though the rate was slightly better, but it was too much fuss. What they are not saying is that many potential customers didn't even bother to call. The truth is that ALL companies have SOME better rates. If you talk ONLY about those better rates, then they are telling the truth. If you talk about ANY other rates, the claims are simply false.

Words mean things!! Wrong or cherry-picked words can be misleading.