price per kilo converted into price per pound

robsterhews

I am an American living in the Philippines. I am trying to convert some local food prices into US dollars. Sorry, math was never my strong suit.

-chicken costs 130 pesos per kilo
-1 US dollar equal 47 pesos

How much per pound in US $ does chicken cost?

Please tell me how you arrived at the answer, as I have several things I wish to convert. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rob

robsterhews said:
I am an American living in the Philippines. I am trying to convert some local food prices into US dollars. Sorry, math was never my strong suit.

Please tell me how you arrived at the answer, as I have several things I wish to convert. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rob
And 1 kg. = 2.2 lbs.

\(\displaystyle \frac{130 pesos}{1 kg}\times \frac{1 dollar}{47 pesos} \times \frac{1 kg}{2.2 lb}= \frac{130 dollars}{103.4 lb}=\$1.26/lb.\)

This process is called dimensional analysis. Notice how the fractions are built so that the denominations will cancel. That is the pesos cancel and the kgs cancel leaving only dollars and lbs. Also, notice that the first fraction was set up as pesos over kilograms because we wanted our answer to be in terms of monetary unit (dollars) over weight (pounds). Notice also that the second and third fractions are equivalent to "1" in that the numerators and denominators are equal to each other. Therefore, the whole problem is developed so that the given ratio (1st fraction) is multiplied by as many "ones" as are needed to produce the desired denominations. If you want more help on this subject you might google "dimensional analysis". Try "http://www.alysion.org/dimensional/fun.htm".

Hello, Rob,

Loren has done an excellent job explaining what you need. Here’s a short-cut of that same info that works as long as $1 = 47 pesos remains true:

Notice that (1/47) times (1/2.2) = .00967118

If you multiply this number times any cost that is in “pesos per kilo” you’ll get the answer in “dollars per pound.”

130(.00967118) = 1.25725 or $1.26/lb

Hope that helps.