Probability of a Defect

ToAzT

Hello! Doing math homework and struggling with steps. It's decently straight forward, but I am not the brightest cookie.

There is a defect in 1/1000 panels. I have 841 panels. What is the chance I get a defective panel?

I want to say 841/1000, but it doesn't seem that easy. Unfortunately my resources aren't helpful(yay online school), so any steps or direction would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you!

There is a defect in 1/1000 panels. I have 841 panels. What is the chance I get a defective panel?
I want to say 841/1000, but it doesn't seem that easy. Unfortunately my resources aren't helpful(yay online school), so any steps or direction would be incredibly helpful.
If you bought 1000 panels then how many defective panels would expect to have?

Happy to help, but first need to know if you have studied binomial probability?

Also does "I get a defective panel" mean "I get exactly one defective panel" OR "I get at least one defective panel"?

Happy to help, but first need to know if you have studied binomial probability?

Also does "I get a defective panel" mean "I get exactly one defective panel" OR "I get at least one defective panel"?
I apologize, here is the full question: "
  • What is the probability or likelihood that the university will receive a damaged solar panel, based on the number of panels it would be purchasing?

After a week of waiting, the teacher responded, and he was just looking for 841/1000, but it feels like I was given the simple answer rather than the correct one. I dunno. Thank you everyone

I will assume that by a damaged solar panel means at least one.
P(at least 1 solar panel is defective) = 1 - p(no panels are defective).

So what is the p( no panel is defective)?

Think hypergeometric.

I will assume that by a damaged solar panel means at least one.
P(at least 1 solar panel is defective) = 1 - p(no panels are defective).

So what is the p( no panel is defective)?

Think hypergeometric.
999/1000? i am incredibly low level mathwise, I don't even know what hypergeometric is. I may be in the wrong place entirely, haha.

By 999/1000 do you mean p(no panel are defective)?
You do realize that 999/1000 is close to 1? So you think that if you check 841 panels that it is almost certain that 0 are bad?

I was mistaken when I said to think hypergeometric.

I think so. I may be confusing myself. If 1/1000 are bad, then 999/1000 are fine. Is it just as simple as 841/1000 so .841% chance that one is bad?