Probability of chips.

Underside

received_473838723324810.jpegIn problem 6a how to use the chips occurence in finding probability for asked questions?

Read the posting guidelines pls. Show us some of your thoughts on the question first.

For what it's worth the problem is missing information. I don't see how it can be answered with just what is given.

Read the posting guidelines pls. Show us some of your thoughts on the question first.

For what it's worth the problem is missing information. I don't see how it can be answered with just what is given.
Sorry about that. I couldn't think of anyway to solve this. At first I thought maybe the 6 chips in a cookie would give average mean and I could use the normal distribution formula of (z - mean)/std deviation. But I couldnt solve it.

Sorry about that. I couldn't think of anyway to solve this. At first I thought maybe the 6 chips in a cookie would give average mean and I could use the normal distribution formula of (z - mean)/std deviation. But I couldnt solve it.

you could if you had been given a standard deviation

Hrm.. looking at the problem again I see what they are after.

They are treating the number of chips occurring in a cookie as being a Poisson distribution with average 6.
The Poisson distribution has the property that the variance is the same as the average.

See if that lets you calculate the probabilities they ask for.

Hrm.. looking at the problem again I see what they are after.

They are treating the number of chips occurring in a cookie as being a Poisson distribution with average 6.
The Poisson distribution has the property that the variance is the same as the average.

See if that lets you calculate the probabilities they ask for.
Thanks. I got the answer.