Probability of getting pair with four four-sided die

jedskee

What's the robability of getting pair with four four-sided die? I'm planning on making a ttrpg so there's also additional questions in the messageWhat's the probability of getting a pair with four four-sided die? And the probability of getting two pairs? Also the probability of getting three of the same number as well as four of the same number?
If possible, I also want to know the probability of getting an exact sum of x. I want to make a tabletop rpg focusing on making actions based on the sum of 4d4, but I want to limit what sort of actions the players make by making certain ones difficult to achieve statistically (e.g. they can only put strong spells on rolls equal to 4 or 16).

Alternatively, I could just get a sample space with all the subsets, but I don't know how to do that that's not manually. I'm not really good (and English isn't my first language) so please explain like I'm a child.

Last edited:
[imath]\;[/imath]

What's the probability of getting a pair with four four-sided die? And the probability of getting two pairs? Also the probability of getting three of the same number as well as four of the same number?
Here is the real difficulty: There is no standard for what is meant by a four sided die. SEE HERE.
Please tell us about our four sided dice.

Here is the real difficulty: There is no standard for what is meant by a four sided die. SEE HERE.
Please tell us about our four sided dice.
Surely there aren't too many platonic solids with 4 sides, are there? But all other 4-sided shapes aren't likely to have the same probability for every side.

What's the probability of getting a pair with four four-sided die? And the probability of getting two pairs? Also the probability of getting three of the same number as well as four of the same number?
If possible, I also want to know the probability of getting an exact sum of x. I want to make a tabletop rpg focusing on making actions based on the sum of 4d4, but I want to limit what sort of actions the players make by making certain ones difficult to achieve statistically (e.g. they can only put strong spells on rolls equal to 4 or 16).

Alternatively, I could just get a sample space with all the subsets, but I don't know how to do that that's not manually. I'm not really good (and English isn't my first language) so please explain like I'm a child.
What is a tabletop rpg? And what does a sum of 4d4 mean? Can your question be phrased in terms of 4 spinners each having equal areas labelled 1,2,3, or 4?

Reactions: pka
Thanks. I see that the OP posted on Sept 4 and apparently hasn't returned.