Probability question

Anshika yadav

A cigarette company packs 1 to 5 different slips, labelled a, b, c, d, e, respectively with each pack it produces. Suppose that you buy 2 packs of cigarettes of this brand. What is a good sample space for the experiment whose outcome is the pair of slips you receive with 2 packs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quen:A cigarette company packs 1 to 5 different slips, labelled a, b, c, d, e, respectively with each pack it produces. Suppose that you buy 2 packs of cigarettes of this brand. What is a good sample soace for the experiment whose outcome is the pair of slips you receive with 2 packs?
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Quen:A cigarette company packs 1 to 5 different slips, labelled a, b, c, d, e, respectively with each pack it produces. Suppose that you buy 2 packs of cigarettes of this brand. What is a good sample soace for the experiment whose outcome is the pair of slips you receive with 2 packs?
HINT: If the set \(S=\{a,b,c,d,e\}\) then \(S\times S=~?\)

What are all the possible pairs you could get? That list will be the sample space.

But I am confused by the mention of "1 to 5 different slips"; I suspect it really said, "1 OF 5 different slips", so that there is only one per pack.

What are all the possible pairs you could get? That list will be the sample space.

But I am confused by the mention of "1 to 5 different slips"; I suspect it really said, "1 OF 5 different slips", so that there is only one per pack.
Ohh yes its "1of 5 different slips"...my mistake

So, have you tried listing the sample space? It won't be very big. Once you try, we can either commend or correct you.

\(\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}{(1,1)}&{(1,2)}&{(1,3)}&{(1,4)}&{(1,5)}\\{(2,1)}&{(2,2)}&{(2,3)}&{(2,4)}&{(2,5)}\\{(3,1)}&{(3,2)}&{(3,3)}&{(3,4)}&{(3,5)}\\{(4,1)}&{(4,2)}&{(4,3)}&{(4,4)}&{(4,5)}\\{(5,1)}&{(5,2)}&{(5,3)}&{(5,4)}&{(5,5)}\end{array}\)

A cigarette company packs 1 to 5 different slips, labelled a, b, c, d, e, respectively with each pack it produces. Suppose that you buy 2 packs of cigarettes of this brand. What is a good sample space for the experiment whose outcome is the pair of slips you receive with 2 packs?
as order doesn't matter just list all possible pairs

{ (a,a) (a,b) (a,c) (a,d) (a,e) (b,b) (b,c) (b,d) (b,e) (c,c) (c,d) (c,e) (d,d) (d,e) (e,e) }

As order doesnt matter (b,a) and (a,b) are the same outcome so i think it will be correct answer.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

{ (a,a) (a,b) (a,c) (a,d) (a,e) (b,b) (b,c) (b,d) (b,e) (c,c) (c,d) (c,e) (d,d) (d,e) (e,e) }

As order doesnt matter (b,a) and (a,b) are the same outcome so i think it will be answer.

As order doesnt matter (b,a) and (a,b) are the same outcome so i think it will be correct answer.
Order doesn't matter in the statement of the problem; but you should also consider whether the outcomes you list are equally likely.

This may or may not be required in your definition of "sample space"; but it can make it easier to work with, so it may be taken into account in deciding whether your sample space is a "good" one. Is it?