Probability Question

G

Each of the 25 balls in a certain box is either red, blue, or white, and has a number from 1 to 10 painted on it. If one ball is to be selected at random from the box, what is the probability that the ball selected will either be white or have an even number painted on it if:

1) The probabliity that the ball will both be white and have an even number on it is 0.

2) The probability that the ball will be white minus the probability that the ball will have an even number painted on it is 0.2.

And, finally, do we really need these last two hints, or the 2nd one would be enough to figure out the answer?

This is a very bad problem. There is no hint on the distribution of the painted numbers. If the painted numbers are all odd, that certainly cuts down on the probabilities for even numbers.

it can have any number painted on it (1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or5, and so on) that's what I understand. Can you help me get the answer please?

That was my point. ALL the balls could be painted with the number 5 and the description would be accurate. It's just a very bad problem statement. The only way to "understand" it is to provide a defining assumption. Care to pick one? Shall we just roll through twice, giving 3 each of 1-5 and 2 each of 6-10? Since the questions refer only to evenor odd, maybe it is necessary to paint only '1' or '2' on each and manage not to lose any generality. There might be 13 '1's and 12 '2's. In any case, you are going to have to pin this down to your satisfaction before proceeding.