Probability - Throwing Darts

djacobp5

Phyllis throws darts for a living and can hit the bulls eye 70% of the time. Find the probability that in 10 throws, she hits the bulls eye at least 5 times.

Hello, and welcome to FMH! :)

What have you tried so far?

I haven’t tried anything because im not really sure how to start this problem

We'll want to know what methods you have learned, so we can give appropriate help. If you can't even start, tell us what topic this problem fell under.

Have you learned about the binomial distribution? How about the normal approximation to it? Do you have a table for this distribution, or some sort of software? Or have you learned none of that, and have to solve this from general principles?

I haven’t tried anything because im not really sure how to start this problem

What if I asked you the simpler question: What is the probability that she hits the bullseye 5 times? Would you be able to compute that?

Phyllis throws darts for a living and can hit the bulls eye 70% of the time. Find the probability that in 10 throws, she hits the bulls eye at least 5 times.
Lets establish some notation. \(\displaystyle \mathscr{P}(H=6)=(0.7)^6\) is the probability of hitting the bull's eye six times.
What is the probability of hitting the bull's eye exactly six times out of ten tries?: \(\displaystyle \mathscr{P}(H=6/10)=\binom{10}{6}(0.7)^6(0.3)^4\)
Now we are ready to answer the question, "Find the probability that in 10 throws, she hits the bulls eye at least 5 times."
\(\displaystyle \sum\limits_{k = 5}^{10} {\mathscr{P}(k/10)}\)

anigif_sub-buzz-25466-1477876576-1.gif