Probability

jackjones

If 1,406 vehicles were manufactured at plant A and 28,989 were manufactured at plant B what is the probability that any given vehicle was manufactured at plant B? Thanks.

tri

Probability is Possible outcome ÷ Total outcome.
There can be more than two manufacturing plants, so probability can change accordingly.

Steven G

Elite Member
Probability is Possible outcome ÷ Total outcome.
There can be more than two manufacturing plants, so probability can change accordingly.
No, sorry that is not correct. I am sure that you meant ALL possible outcomes, but that is the same as total outcome.
The way to say it is the probability of an event = (the total number of favorable outcomes)/(total number of outcomes)

tri

No, sorry that is not correct. I am sure that you meant ALL possible outcomes, but that is the same as total outcome.
The way to say it is the probability of an event = (the total number of favorable outcomes)/(total number of outcomes)
"Total number of favorable outcomes" is also unclear as it does not specify if the condition of favor is a specific one or the set of all favorable conditions possible (which is the total outcome).
People familiar with the concept of probability can figure out the real meaning.
People not familiar with Probability can probably not understand any of the definitions.
Probability of someone getting confused is closer to 0 than to 1.

Harry_the_cat

Elite Member
"Total number of favorable outcomes" is also unclear as it does not specify if the condition of favor is a specific one or the set of all favorable conditions possible (which is the total outcome).
People familiar with the concept of probability can figure out the real meaning.
People not familiar with Probability can probably not understand any of the definitions.
Probability of someone getting confused is closer to 0 than to 1.
Actually, I think you mean the probability of someone getting confused is closer to 1 than 0.

Cubist

@jackjones please send a message, even if it's just "I don't understand" (with a little bit of description about exactly what you don't understand). Look at post#6, can you perhaps make an attempt to work out ...
  • the total number of possible outcomes
  • the total number of favorable outcomes