Probably easy, but im stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole92

ok...i got a problem today that i need help on. here is the problem given:

"Find the sum of the numerical coefficients of (x+y)^n. (HINT: Find the sum of the coefficiants of (x+y)^1, (x+y)^2, and so on)."

thanks in advance for anybody that can help me...i really appreciate it..

thanks again

\(\displaystyle \L
\begin{array}{l}
\left( {x + y} \right)^1 = x + y\quad \Rightarrow \quad Sum = 2 \\
\left( {x + y} \right)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad Sum = 4 \\
\left( {x + y} \right)^3 = x^3 + 3x^2 y + 3xy^2 + y^3 \quad \Rightarrow \quad Sum = 8 \\
\end{array}\)

Do you recognize 2,4,8,…? See if you can generalize!

great..thanks for the help, but theres one problem...

i understand how to get the x^2+2xy+y^2 and stuff, but where does the sum = 2, sum=4, sum=8, etc come from? and what exactly would be the answer?

thanks again for the help guys

Look, this is YOUR problem.
YOU need to find the solution.
I have known the solution for years!
But the point is for YOU TO FIND IT.
There is no free lunch unless you can get Soroban involved.

To answer your one question:

in the expansion x^3 + 3x^2 y + 3 xy^2 + y^3

add up the coefficients of each term: 1 [from the x^3 term] + 3 [from x^2 y] + 3 [from xy^2] + 1 [from y^3]

The sum = 1 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 8.

Steve

you could have been more elaborate and explained a little.....i got my answer as:

2^n........................can you at least tell me if im right?

The idea would be for you to prove it.

If the coefficients of \(\displaystyle (x+y)^{n}\) sum to \(\displaystyle 2^{n}\), what can you say about the coefficients of \(\displaystyle (x+y)^{n}*(x+y)\)?

Once you have proven it, there is no more need for clarification.

i got a problem today that i need help on. here is the problem given:

"Find the sum of the numerical coefficients of (x+y)^n. (HINT: Find the sum of the coefficiants of (x+y)^1, (x+y)^2, and so on)."

thanks in advance for anybody that can help me...i really appreciate it..

thanks again

Take a look at the binomial expansion of (a + b)^n. Lets axpand a few with increasing values of n.

(a + b)^0 = 1
(a + b)^1 = 1a + 1b
(a + b)^2 = 1a^2 + 2ab + 1b^2
(a + b)^3 = 1a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + 1b^2
(a + b)^4 = 1a^4 + 4a^3b + 6a^2b^2 + 4ab^3 + 1b^4

By now you must have recognized that the coefficients of the terms in each expansion are the values from Pascal's triangle. How elegant. We can write the expansion of (a + b)^n for any "n" by simply referring to Pascal's triangle. The coefficients of (a + b)^n are the numbers from the nth row of Pascals triangle.

Pascal's Triangle
Row.....................................................................................................Sum
0...........................................................................1...............................1
1.......................................................................1......1...........................2
2....................................................................1.....2.....1........................4
3.................................................................1....3......3.....1....................8
1..............................................................1....4.....6......4.....1...............16
5...........................................................1....5...10....10.....5.....1............32
6........................................................1....6...15....20....15....6.....1.........64
7.....................................................1....7...21...35...35....21.....7.....1....etc.
8.................................................1....8...28...56...70....56...28....8.....1
9..............................................1....9...36..84..126..126..84....36.....9.....1
10........................................1...10..45.120..210.252..210..120...45...10.....1

The sum of these coefficients should be now be obvious.

cole92 said:
you could have been more elaborate and explained a little.....i got my answer as:
2^n........................can you at least tell me if im right?

Yes. But whoopseedoo: did you want fries with that?

Before posting your problem, did you bother to:
look up what a coefficient is?
expand a few expressions by yourself, like (x + y)^2 = x^2 +2xy + y^2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.