Problem solving.. Real world probem solving..

sammythiers

At the student council meeting the teachin in charge mrs jung told teh council members that in order to pay all the expenses of the dance 300 students other than council members would hae to attend the dane. there are 20 mambers of teh student council. it is their responsibility to get other students to come to the dance. mrs. jung also wanted to figure out how many pizzas to order. she told the student coundil that each pizza has 10 pieces. she said that each person usually eats two pieces of pizza. there are 600 students at Mt. carmel middle school.
1.. How many firnds would each student council memeber have to bring to the dance to meet their goal of 300 students?
2. If they have to get all 580 other students to the dance how many friends would each student would each council member have to bring?
3. if 320 students come to the school dance how many slices of pizza are needed? ahoe many pizzas does mrs jung have to order?
4. if 600 students come to the school dance how many slices of pizza are needed? How many pizzas does Mrs. Jung have to order?

So for word problems what you should do is write out the information given to you

they need 300 students to be at the dance
there are 20 members of the student council

Each pizza had 10 pieces
each person usually eats 2 pieces

there are 600 students in total

for part 1. There are 20 members in the student council but they don't count towards the 300 that need to be there. then each of the 20 students would need to bring x amount of students to get a total of 300 students, right? so 20(x)=300. solve for x

part 2 is similar

3. there are 320 students it is given that each student eats 2 slices of pizza try to write out an expression for that which would allow you to solve for the amount of pizza slices consumed in total. then you are given that each pizza contains 10 pieces so write out another expression for that and solve for how many pizzas you need to have.

4. is similar

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Sammy, you posted your exercise on the Arithmetic Board. Are you in grade school?

Parts 1 and 2 are division problems.

Parts 3 and 4 are both multiplication and division problems.

If you still need help, please let us know what class you're in, and tell us what you tried.

Cheers :cool:

Hi I am in 6 grade. I am really not sure on #3.. I have a learning disability in math so I really need help with the explanation. can you give me an example?

ok so your good with 1 and 2? Sorry I'm not good at giving clear explanations...:|

for number 3

if there are 320 students at the dance and each of them eat 2 slices of pizza then how many slices will be eaten? if your having problem with a question try to simplify it. If there are 20 people and each of them eat 1 slice of pizza then in total they ate 20 slices right? (20*1) the same logic applies to your question.

then the second part of the question is asking how many pizzas are needed given the fact that each pizza had 10 slices. so if you know the number of slices each person will eat lets say x. then the amount of pizzas they will need is x/10. You can try to think of it intuitively, how many times can you add up 10 so that everyone can eat two slices.

so in the previous example. 20 slices are consumed that would mean that they need 2 pizzas. 20/10=2