Problem Solving

huguy06

Hi, can you please help me with the following problem?

if Mark sells 7 cars to John, John will have as many cars as Mark

On the other hand, if John sells 7 cars to Mark, Mark will have twice as many cars as John.

How many cars do each manager have without any cars changing ownership?

Thank you.

You listed this under arithmetic, rather than algebra, so I'll assume you don't want to use algebra (or can't).

Can you show us any thoughts you have about the problem? Without algebra, it's a matter of creative thinking, not following rules; you may well have a better idea than you realize, and just need to give it a shot.

Then I'll try to either help you continue your thinking, or suggest a different way to start based on what I learn about you from what I see.

But if you have no idea where to start, just pick a couple random numbers for how many cars each has, and see how many they'll end up with in each scenario. At the least, this can give you a feel for how the problem works, in addition to showing you how to check your final answer.

Hi Dr Peterson, thank you for your reply. I tried to use Algebra but was getting nowhere so I wrote down the multiple of 7 and figured out that the answer was 35/49 but would like to use Algebra to logically explain this to my daughter.

On the other hand, if John sells 7 cars to Mark, Mark will have twice as many cars as John.

Hi Dr Peterson, thank you for your reply. I tried to use Algebra but was getting nowhere so I wrote down the multiple of 7 and figured out that the answer was 35/49 but would like to use Algebra to logically explain this to my daughter.
Okay, so you used a reasonable trial-and-error, or search, method to find an answer. There are other ways without algebra, but there's no need to look further.

First, let's check it to see if your answer is right.

I assume you are saying that John has 35 and Mark has 49.​
If Mark sells 7 to John, then John will have 35+7 = 42, and Mark will have 49-7 = 42. So that's good.​
If John sells 7 to Mark, then Mark will have 49+7 = 56, and John will have 35-7 = 28. Since 56 is twice 28, that's good too.​

Now to use algebra, we just use letters in place of those numbers. Here is a cut and paste from what I just said:

Suppose that John has J and Mark has M.​
If Mark sells 7 to John, then John will have J+7, and Mark will have M-7. We want these to be equal: J+7 = M-7.​
If John sells 7 to Mark, then Mark will have M+7, and John will have J-7. We want the first to be twice the second: M+7 = 2(J-7).​

Now you have two equations in two unknowns, and you can solve for J and M.

Do you see how either trial and error, or a practice check, can be a model for writing equations? That's a good thing to know.

Now, because you didn't show any of your thinking using algebra, I don't know whether you can handle two equations. Please give it a try, and if you still have trouble, show me some work so I can help you with your actual difficulties.

Hi, can you please help me with the following problem?

Thank you.
Let M = the number of cars Mark has initially.
Let J = the number of cars John has initially.
If Mark sells 7 cars to John, then Mark will have M-7 cars and John will have as many cars as Mark. So J+7 = M-7---this is one equation.

If John sells 7 cars to Mark, then Mark will have M+7 cars and John will have J-7 cars. We are told that at this point Mark will have twice as many cars as John. That is M+7 = 2(J-7). This is the 2nd equation. Let's see if your daughter can solve this.

Amazing- Thank you both. I doubt she’ll be able to find that herself but At least I have been able to resolve it so I can try guiding her to the solution. Hard to get back to Math at 47 ?.

M=2J-21
J=M-14

M=2(M-14)-21
M=49
J=49-14

Thank you again!
Huguy

It might be helpful if she showed us her attempt at the algebra. One thing you haven't told us is how much algebra she has learned. I would expect this problem to be assigned to a class that is doing systems of linear equations, but it's possible to solve it with only one variable, in which case I would want to start differently.

Hi, She is just starting her 2nd year in high school. She will turn 13 by end of the year. She is more than able to solve linear equations but haven’t yet learned system of Linear Equations so She is no way near being able to solve these type of problems using algebra. Is there easier way to solve this at her current level?

Even if there was an easier way she still must learn how to solve linear equations using both the substitution and elimination methods.

Leaving the equations as M=2J-21 and J=M-14 she can solve this by substitution

After rewriting the equations as 2J - M = 21 and J - M = -14 she can then use the elimination method. Simply subtractions yields J = 35.

Thanks for trying to help her.