Problem with understanding trivial things

Ryan$

Hi guys, I find my problem at the end and succeed to understand what to ask exactly.
I have a problem with + or * arithmetic manipulations, what's confusing me is like this: 5 * integer=integer(doesn't matter what's the number but its type of is integer) , 5+integer=integer(doesn't matter what's the number but its type of is the same); so what's confusing me why beta * (any number of " type of " ) = the same type of, beta + (any number of type of) = type of?
for example 34(orange)=12(orange) so I can look at 3(any number of type orange)=appropriate number of type orange ... why * and + will definately lead to the same typeof that we used in its manipulation of +/- ? thanks

for instance if I have 3 birds then beta3birds=number of type "birds" so I can say beta3bird=suitable number of type "bird" .. I'm asking why we are getting in the result type of bird although we have used "*" in the term?!

Last edited:
Not really sure what you are asking but does this help?

3 oranges + 4 oranges = 7 oranges (same type of thing)
3 * (4 oranges) = 3 lots of (4 oranges) = 12 oranges (same type of thing)
3 oranges * 3 oranges … doesn't make sense.

Another example:
3 inches + 4 inches = 7 inches
3 * (4 inches) =12 inches
3 inches * 3 inches = 9 "square inches" (different type of thing: inches measures length, square inches measure area).. makes sense in this case

12 inches / 3 (ie divide 12 inches into 3 equal pieces) = 4 inches
12 inches / 3 inches = how many "3 inch lengths" are there in 12 inches = 4 (NOT "4 inches" just 4)

… for example 34(orange)=12(orange) so I can look at 3(any number of type orange)=appropriate number of type orange …
Please explain the highlighted parts above. I don't understand the orange notation, and I don't want to guess what you mean by "appropriate". :unsure: