Projectile motion

Audentes

Hey y'all, I got a question about velocity and projectile motion: (and sorry - I hope this isn't too physics related to not be considered 'math')

A projectile is launched at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal. Compared to the vertical component of the initial velocity of the projectile, the vertical component of the projectile's velocity when it has reached its maximum height is
(1) smaller
(2) larger
(3) the same

Thank you so much!

This a math help forum where helpers help students with their problems. What helpers never do is solve problems for students as that would not be helpful.
If you had read the forum posting policy you would have know that you need to show your work so we know where you are stuck.

Have you drawn a diagram, labeling the x and y axes?

Hey y'all, I got a question about velocity and projectile motion: (and sorry - I hope this isn't too physics related to not be considered 'math')

A projectile is launched at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal. Compared to the vertical component of the initial velocity of the projectile, the vertical component of the projectile's velocity when it has reached its maximum height is
(1) smaller
(2) larger
(3) the same

Thank you so much!
How do you define when the particle has reached its "maximum height?" What is the direction of the particle's velocity at that point?

-Dan

Dan (@topsquark),
Shouldn't the answer depend on which direction we call the positive vertical direction?
Thanks,
Steven

How do you define when the particle has reached its "maximum height?" What is the direction of the particle's velocity at that point?

-Dan
The projectile is at its maximum height at the parabola's maximum value - the direction is heading in the positive direction of the x-axis direction
Dan (@topsquark),
Shouldn't the answer depend on which direction we call the positive vertical direction?
Thanks,
Steven
the direction would be toward the x-positive direction.

Thanks for the help everyone, but it was a timed assignment and so i submitted (1) smaller - judging from what you both said and advice from others with the assignment I believe I put the correct answer.

The projectile is at its maximum height at the parabola's maximum value - the direction is heading in the positive direction of the x-axis direction

the direction would be toward the x-positive direction.

Thanks for the help everyone, but it was a timed assignment and so i submitted (1) smaller - judging from what you both said and advice from others with the assignment I believe I put the correct answer.
Right, so just to make sure you understand, if it's at the top of the parabola and the velocity is only pointing in the x-direction, what is the vertical component of the velocity there?

-Dan

This a math help forum where helpers help students with their problems. What helpers never do is solve problems for students as that would not be helpful.
If you had read the forum posting policy you would have know that you need to show your work so we know where you are stuck.

Have you drawn a diagram, labeling the x and y axes?
Oh, I never saw this reply: I was in a rush for the timed assignment that night, I've asked several questions the past 2 years on this site.. forgot to show any work this time, sorry about that. Good news is the site members above including you got me to the answer :)