proof by contradiction

punchline

Hi guys, got my self stuck again!

i need to prove by contradiction that:

sqrt(2)+ cuberoot(3) is not rational.

I have made it = a/b but i run into problems after that. could anyone give me a hint on what the next step is so i can work it through my self?

cheers!

i need to prove by contradiction that:
There is a very broad theorem: If \(\displaystyle a\) is a non-square-natural number then \(\displaystyle \sqrt{a}\) is irrational.

If \(\displaystyle \sqrt2+\sqrt3\) is rational then \(\displaystyle 2+2\sqrt6+3\) is rational. Why is that?

What is wrong with that?

I need to prove by contradiction that:

I have made it = a/b but i run into problems after that.
What are "a" and "b"? What is "it" that you set equal to a/b? What did you do "after that"?

Please be complete, even if you think it's wrong. Thank you! ;)

sorry im new to talking about high level maths (my first year at uni), let me try to present the problem better.

I have made sqrt(2) + cuberoot(3) = a/b (a,b are from the set of intiger numbers) in an attempt to rearange too create a situation where a and b would be shown to be even intigers causing sqrt(2) + cuberoot(3) does not = a/b and proving sqrt is not rational.

sorry im new to talking about high level maths (my first year at uni), let me try to present the problem better.

I have made sqrt(2) + cuberoot(3) = a/b (a,b are from the set of intiger numbers)...
Did you notice, when they showed you the proof for the square root of two being irrational, that you started with a fraction in lowest terms, and that this lowest-terms assumption was crucial to the proof? You might want to consider using similar reasoning here.

Or, since you're working with something a bit more complex here, maybe we can dispose of the fractional notation. Let's just say the following:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\strut 2\,}\,+\, \sqrt[3]{\strut 3\,}\, =\, a\, \mbox{ for }\, a\, \in\, \mathbb{Q}\)

...where \(\displaystyle \, \mathbb{Q}\, \) is the set of rational (that is, fractional and integral) numbers. Then we have:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{\strut 3\,}\, =\, a\, -\, \sqrt{\strut 2\,}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle 3\, =\, \left(\, a\, -\, \sqrt{\strut 2\,}\, \right)^3\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle 3\, =\, a^3\, -\, 3\sqrt{\strut 2\,}a\, +\, 6a^2\, -\, 2\sqrt{\strut 2\,}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle 3\, -\, a^3\, -\, 6a^2\, =\, (-3a\, -\, 2)\sqrt{\strut 2\,}\)

On the left-hand side, what can you say about the square of a rational number? the cube? What can you say about the product of two rational numbers? What can you say about the sum or difference of rational numbers? On the right-hand side, what can you say about the product of a ration number and the square root of two, the latter of which is known to be irrational?

What then can you conclude? ;)

Trying to prove a number is not rational

Hi,

i have the problem :

"prove by contradiction that the number 2^(1/2) + 3^(1/3) is not rational"

I have tried approaching it by putting the number above equal to a/b where a and b are intigers and b does not = 0 and a/b is not reducable.
This leaves me with a mess of rearanging which i can get little meaning out of. Could anyone help me get going in the right direction as i am completly out of ideas.

Cheers!

Hi,

i have the problem :

"prove by contradiction that the number 2^(1/2) + 3^(1/3) is not rational"

I have tried approaching it by putting the number above equal to a/b where a and b are intigers and b does not = 0 and a/b is not reducable.
This leaves me with a mess of rearanging which i can get little meaning out of. Could anyone help me get going in the right direction as i am completly out of ideas.

Cheers!

See post above by stapel....