Proof that the range of the cotangent function is all reals

jsh_aziza

Could someone please help me with this equation:

Prove that the range of the cotangent function is the set of all real numbers. (Hint: Use the unit circle and the point (x,y) that corresponds to cot theta)

I really hate proofs because I know the ultimate answer but it is hard for me to go about using the different theorems and steps in getting there, so if anyone can help through those steps, I would really appreciate it. So far what I have is:

cot theta = x/y

Let cot theta = x/y = a, so then x = ay. Using the unit circle, note that x^2 + y^2 = 1. Using substitution, we get:

a^2 y^2 + y^2 = 1

y^2(a^2 + 1) = 1

y^2 = 1 / (a^2 + 1)

y = +/- 1 / sqrt(a^2 + 1)
Did I do it right? And if so how would I present it as a proof? Thanks for any help you can give me.

jsh_aziza said:
Did I do it right?
If you had been asked to prove that y = +/- 1 / sqrt[a[sup:1mnqq1ho]2[/sup:1mnqq1ho] + 1], then you would have done the proof correctly. Unfortunately, this is not what you proved. :oops:

Instead, you were asked to prove that, for any real number "w", there is some value of \(\displaystyle \theta\) for which \(\displaystyle \cot{(\theta)}\, =\, w\). This is a very different thing. :shock:

You know that, for any angle \(\displaystyle \theta\), you have, on the unit circle, \(\displaystyle \cot{(\theta)}\, =\, \frac{y}{x}\) for some values of x and y between -1 and 1. Is there any way to relate w to the ratio y/x, and thus to the cotangent? This relation is what you need to show. :wink:

Eliz.