proof

canvas

Prove that [math]\forall x\in\R\,\,(3x^6+4x^5-6x^3+3>0)[/math]
Any hint please? I don't need the solution but some hints to prove it! Thanks

Does it have a minimum or multiple minimums? How could you find it/them?

[math]\frac{d}{dx}3x^6+4x^5-6x^3+3=x^2(18x^3+20x^2-18)\\\\\text{but now} \,\, 18x^3+20x^2-18\,\,\text{is the problem...}[/math]

You could use Newton's method to solve the cubic. Won't take many iterations to get a workable estimate.

It's actually not that bad. You know that x = 0 gives a minimum, so you can compare f(0) to 0. Once you find the other minimum value, compare f(value) to 0. I grant that there may be a more formal way to do this proof, but this is the approach I would take.

Here's an idea by factoring out the highest even power and completing the square. Continue with the remaining powers. I'm not sure if actually work, but give it a try:
[math]3x^6+4x^5-6x^3+3=x^4(3x^2+4x)-6x^3+3\\ =x^4\left[3\left(x+\frac{2}{3}\right)^2-\frac{4}{3}\right]-6x^3+3=3x^4\left(x+\frac{2}{3}\right)^2-x^4\left(\frac{4}{3}\right)-6x^3+3[/math]

It's actually not that bad. You know that x = 0 gives a minimum, so you can compare f(0) to 0. Once you find the other minimum value, compare f(value) to 0. I grant that there may be a more formal way to do this proof, but this is the approach I would take.
Me too. No algebraic short-cut jumps out at me.

It's interesting that this problem comes from high school lvl where students don't know Newtons method, I'm confused...

It's interesting that this problem comes from high school lvl where students don't know Newtons method, I'm confused...
Don't be. I am working on an answer that I think will work with just a bit of calculus.

[math]y(a) = 3x^6+4x^5-6x^3+3 = (3x^6- 6x^3) + (4x^5 + 3) = a(x) + b(x)[/math]
[math]a' = 18x^5 - 18x^2 = 18x^2(x^3 - 1) \implies a' = 0 \text { at } x = 0 \text { or } x = 1.[/math]
[math]a(1) = 4 * 1^5 - 6 * 1^5 = - 2 .[/math]
[math]x \ge 0 \implies b(x) \ge 3 \text { and } a(x) \ge -2 \implies\\ y(x) \ge 1 >0.[/math]
Now what?

Last edited:
I haven't had time to read JeffM's post, but I'll share this thought in case it helps. If you rewrite the inequality as follows then you should be able to prove it for the cases x=0 and x>0 but I can't see an easy way for x<0.

[math]3(x^3 - 1)^2 > -4x^5[/math]

I haven't had time to read JeffM's post, but I'll share this thought in case it helps. If you rewrite the inequality as follows then you should be able to prove it for the cases x=0 and x>0 but I can't see an easy way for x<0.

Can't see the way that it can help ;/

[math]\text{For}\, x<0, -4x^5>0 \Rightarrow 3(x^3-1)^2+(-4x^5)>0[/math]

Last edited: