proportions word problem

danny2335

Any thoughts on this problem. I have thought about solving it by finding 2/5 of hour traveled in distance. Then I'm a bit confused on what's next. I've figured to have both proportions equal to one another but the fractions seem to be throwing me off.

Makayla and Tomeisha walk from their apartments to meet for lunch. They live the same distance from the restaurant where they will meet. Makayla walks at a constant speed and she travels 24 blocks in 2/5 of an hour. Tomeisha's constant speed is represented by the equation 3/4y = 30x, where y represents her distance, in blocks, and x represents her time, in hours.

Who will get to the restaurant later? Explain how you know.

Last edited:
(24 blocks) / (2/5 hour) = 60 blocks / hr

Can you rearrange the equation so that is reads: y/x = something?

Distances are the same. What determines who gets there later?

Any thoughts on this problem. I have thought about solving it by finding 2/5 of hour traveled in distance. Then I'm a bit confused on what's next. I've figured to have both proportions equal to one another but the fractions seem to be throwing me off.

Makayla and Tomeisha walk from their apartments to meet for lunch. They live the same distance from the restaurant where they will meet. Makayla walks at a constant speed and she travels 24 blocks in 2/5 of an hour. Tomeisha's constant speed is represented by the equation 3/4y = 30x, where y represents her distance, in blocks, and x represents her time, in hours.

Who will get to the restaurant later? Explain how you know.
If I were to do this problem, I would,?

1) Calculate how long would Tomeisha take to walk 24 blocks (using 3/4y = 30x)

2) Who walks slower

Continue......

I solved the tameshia equation to x = y/40, but idk how to approach afterwards.
This is unfortunate. You have already been indoctrinated to the tune of "You MUST solve for one variable or the World will end!! NO!! Run for your lives!" Please don't do that. I blame your instructors. Totally not your fault, but it is now your habit to be overcome. You must solve for what is needed! Make up your mind what that is BEFORE you start solving for anything.

You have, "y represents her distance, in blocks, and x represents her time, in hours."

x is just hours. You can't compare that to blocks/hr.
y is just blocks. You can't compare that to blocks/hr.

You need y/x. THAT is Blocks/hr. THAT can be compared to Makayla's rate of 60 blocks/hr

Once you have both rates, IN THE SAME UNITS, the comparison is relatively simple.

This is unfortunate. You have already been indoctrinated to the tune of "You MUST solve for one variable or the World will end!! NO!! Run for your lives!" Please don't do that. I blame your instructors. Totally not your fault, but it is now your habit to be overcome. You must solve for what is needed! Make up your mind what that is BEFORE you start solving for anything.

You have, "y represents her distance, in blocks, and x represents her time, in hours."

x is just hours. You can't compare that to blocks/hr.
y is just blocks. You can't compare that to blocks/hr.

You need y/x. THAT is Blocks/hr. THAT can be compared to Makayla's rate of 60 blocks/hr

Once you have both rates, IN THE SAME UNITS, the comparison is relatively simple.

I see yea you are right. Appreciate the help and keep that in mind.
Thank You

Since this appears to be finished:
"Makayla walks at a constant speed and she travels 24 blocks in 2/5 of an hour. Tomeisha's constant speed is represented by the equation 3/4y = 30x, where y represents her distance, in blocks, and x represents her time, in hours."
So Makayla's walking speed is 24/(2/5)= 5(12)= 60 blocks per hour. Tomeisha walks at (3/4)y= 30x so y/x= 40. Since we are told that y "is in blocks" and x "is in hours", y/x is in "blocks per hour" and is Tomeisha's speed is 40 blocks per hour.. Since Tomeisha is walking slower and they both walk the same distance Tomeisha is later.