Proportions: Word problem

Namingishard

I have a word problem that I can't seem to figure out

At the market, a man buys six avocados for $13.35. All produce is 30% off today only. How much will two avocados cost you tomorrow at full price?

A) $4.00

B) $4.50

C) $5.00

D) $5.50

E) $6.00

The answer on the website I got the question on says $5.00 but I can't figure out how they got that answer I always come out to $6.00. Any help for be great.

Namingishard said:
At the market, a man buys six avocados for $13.35. All produce is 30% off today only. How much will two avocados cost you tomorrow at full price?

...I always come out to $6.00.
How did you arrive at a regular price of six dollars? (It will be much easier to "see" where you're going wrong if you post your work and reasoning.) A simple check confirms that this does not work:

. . . . .regular price: $6

. . . . .70% of regular price: (0.7)($6) = $4.20

. . . . .six at 30% off: (6)($4.20) = $25.20

...not the $13.35 listed.

One method of solution might be to compute the sale price for one item. (Hint: Divide.) Note that this is 70% of the regular price. Compute ten percent of the regular price. (Hint: Divide.) Then find the regular price, being 100% of the regular price. (Hint: Multiply.)

Then check your answer! :wink:

Eliz.

>At the market, a man buys six avocados for $13.35. All produce is 30% off today only. How much will two avocados cost you tomorrow at full price?

Another approach is to figure out what the regular price is for the six avocados. There are more than one way to do that. Your thinking might go --- 30% of regular price subtracted from the regular price equals 13.35. You might call the "regular price" x. Once you have found x, then you can set up your proportion comparing the price of 6 to the price of 2.

I went back and worked the problem. I don't get any of the answers given. Have you made a typo somewhere?

If the correct answer is that you get 2 for $5.00 (regular price) then one costs $2.50 (regular price). If you get a 30% discount then one costs $1.25 (discount price) so 6 cost $10.50. But the problem says that 6 would cost $13.35. Something is wrong some place.
(corrected)

Loren said:
I went back and worked the problem. I don't get any of the answers given. Have you made a typo somewhere?

If the correct answer is that you get 2 for $5.00 (regular price) then one costs $2.25 (- that should be $2.50 - regular price). If you get a 30% discount then one costs $1.575 (discount price) so 6 cost $9.45. But the problem says that 6 would cost $13.35. Something is wrong some place.

If the reduced price of 6 was 13.35 - the original price of 2 would be 6.36.

If the original price of two apples was 5.00 - then the reduced price of the six would be 10.50.

If the reduced price for 6 was 13.35 and the regular price of 2 was 5.00 - the price reduction was 11%.