prove that 3^1/3 is irrational.

Habil

I assume that it's rational to prove by contradiction.
3^1/3 = p/q where q and p are whole numbers. I get 3=p^3 /q^3. from there I say that 3q^3 = p^3 and if p is a whole number then p^3 is a perfect cube. and 3q^3 cant be a perfect cube and there I have shown that it's not rational. can you guys show me another way I don't really like the perfect cube argument.

I assume that it's rational to prove by contradiction.
3^1/3 = p/q where q and p are whole numbers. I get 3=p^3 /q^3. from there I say that 3q^3 = p^3 and if p is a whole number then p^3 is a perfect cube. and 3q^3 cant be a perfect cube and there I have shown that it's not rational. can you guys show me another way I don't really like the perfect cube argument.
Why do you just say without proof that [imath]3q^3[/imath] cannot be a perfect cube?

Are you saying that 3q^3 is not a perfect cube since 3 is not a perfect cube? What is it that you are trying to prove??

Sorry, i wasn't clear, since p is an integer <=>p^3 is a perfect cube and so is q with the same logic. And since 3q^3 is equal to p^3 which is a perfect cube, that means that 3q^3 is a perfect cube and så is q^3 which leads to this: if q^3 and 3q^3 are perfect cubes then 3^(1/3) is an integer. and we know that there is no integer between 1^(1/3) and 8^1/3 thas 3^1/3 is not an integer and its proof by contradiction

Again I am very messy i anywhere you see x^1/3 i mean x^(1/3)

The problem with helping on proofs is that we have no idea what axioms and theorems are available to you.

The problem with helping on proofs is that we have no idea what axioms and theorems are available to you.
That's an interesting thing to say, I had never thought about it like that. Any proof is welcome I am just trying to see other solutions to it.

I solved it in another way too where I used the fact that every rational number can be written as p/q where p and q have only 1 as their greatest common denominator. And from there we can go 3=(p/q)^3 >>> 3q^3=p^3 [corrected] and since q is an integer we know that p has a factor of 3 and can be written as 3q^3=(m*3)^3 where m is an integer. now we get q^3=(27m^3)/3 >>> q^3=9m^3=3*3m^3 with same logic as before we can see that if m is an integer and q is an integer then q has a factor of 3 in it and now we have shown that both q and p have a factor of 3 in them which is larger then the GCD 1 thas contradiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
And from there we can go 3=(p/q)^3 >>> 3q^3=p................corrected

Shouldn't it be that 3q^3 = p^3. So p^3 is a multiple of 3==> p is a multiple of 3. ....

Last edited by a moderator: